Extreme Data Usage
TLD714

Last November , I purchased an IPHONE 5 for my daughter who had been using an IPHONE 4 for the previous 2 years. She does not have much access to WiFi so she is forced to be on the 4G network to utilize the Apps on her phone of which are primarily  for her college courses.

With the i4, she never used more than 2.5 GB and averaged around 2 GB monthly. ( on the 3G network)

With the i5, the data usage has ballooned up to an avg of 5GB with a couple of months has high as 6.5GB.( now on the 4G network)

We have analyzed her actually usage of the phone and determined that she is not spending any more actual time on her i5 than she did with her i4 and she is closing out her programs diligently.  .

I have brought this to the attention of Customer Service but have been given a variety of conflicting theories yet no concrete answers or more importantly...solutions ( other than" keep raising your data plan")

Any one else having this problem?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Extreme Data Usage
ironwalt

I'm having this same problem and they can't tell me really why. They tell me the speed burns the data, what? I'm still reading at the same speed. I don't get how I can be doing the same thing and going to the same places day in and day out for years and using around 2.5gb (3g) to now blowing around 7gb (4g). I don't mind paying for what I'm using but just want a clear answer as to why my data usage has went nuts. Any one? Please....

0 Likes
akorna

Exact same problem with iPhone 5 upgrade 3/2/13.  No major data usage for a couple of weeks, then starts leaking with no actual usage - phone just on.  My daughter has to keep the phone off, then turn it back on to only call or text - each time between 0.1 and 0.5 GB is consumed (yes - GB!).  Verizon store and tech support has had her "restore" the phone, turn off back-up, closed iCloud account - still same behavior.  This is an iPhone/carrier scam so you buy a larger data plan. We started at 2 GB, then 4, now 6.  with 23 days left in the billing cycle already used 2.7GB and she is only using the phone for calls and texts!

0 Likes
MichaelVJr

I am having the same issue with my Daughter's iPhone 5.  My son has the same phone and does more on it then she would even think of and he has no data issues when he is connect to WiFi.  Verizon is telling me that I have to turn off the Cellular data usage when she is connected to WiFi. Is the iPhone not smart enough to manage this properly?  This just sounds like they are just trying to make money on us.

0 Likes