False info given about free phone promotion offered on iPhones!
SHABUR23
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am ready to leave Verizon after being a customer for 20 years!!

Has anyone else had an issue of being told they were eligible for a "buy one, get one free" promotion by a Verizon sales rep (on the phone) and then being told later that they didn't qualify? If so, will you please share how you got this issue resolved? Here is an email I sent to the Verizon executive team just now:

"This actually a complaint that is going out to all executives listed on your "about our company" website.  I have been a Verizon wireless customer since 1999, but I am ready to leave Verizon because of situation that has occurred.  I can't seem to get any help through your call center management, so I am taking this to the top.

My story: I purchased an iPhone 8 plus as well as an iPhone 8 on June 17, 2018 as part of a Father's Day "BOGO" offer. I bought this on the phone through a Verizon sales rep after previously talking with a rep a few days earlier while in Costco and learning of the promotion.  I was assured by both reps that I qualified for the promotion, even though I wasn't upgrade eligible until September 2018. Both reps told me that as long as I added another line and made an upfront down payment on the phones, I would qualify for the upgrade and promotion.  I added a second line for my husband as he was previously a pre-paid customer. This involved him changing his phone number as I was told that he could not keep the old number. Both of these conversations were very detailed, and as a result, I purchased the phones on June 17, 2018. It was explained that the free phone would show up as an account credit each month for the 24-month installment plan.

In August, I had not seen any credits on my bill, so I called customer support. I was told by a rep that I should have qualified for the bill credit and that he would call me back the next day after investigating this more.  I did not get a call back.  A couple of days later, I called support again. I was once again told that I qualified for the promotion and that I would get a bill credit for payments made to this point and for future billing.

My current bill still doesn't show that credit, so I called again last night, October 1.  Now I am being told that I do NOT qualify for the free phone promotion because I upgraded early and that the computer system automatically decides the eligibility. I asked to speak to a supervisor, Tyrelle, who then called me back and said there was nothing he could do and that he could not authorize the free phone promotion. He did offer me a $300 bill credit, which I told him was not acceptable as the iPhone 8 that was to be free was valued at $699. He told me that he could do nothing else. I asked that he note my account and that I would call back the next day to speak to someone in a higher position.

I called today and was put in touch with Janese in management in the Tampa, Florida call center.  Again, she told me there was nothing she could do except offer the $300 bill credit. I told her that I was sold this promotion by a Verizon rep on the phone and given the same info by another rep in a previous conversation. She told me that she could not do anything about an employee giving incorrect information!

Are you kidding me? Verizon has always been great in customer service, but this takes the cake! How can a company not stand behind what a sales person tells a customer on the phone? The sales rep should be knowledgeable about the products and promotions offered and should know the ins and outs of eligibility!

I am asking that someone in the company make this right! I am currently awaiting a phone call from Janese's supervisor (Tampa, Florida management), but I was told this could take 24-48 hours and that the supervisor would just tell me the same thing. That is why I am taking this to Verizon management.  If I don't get resolution, I will file a complaint with the FCC, BBB or file a claim in small claims court.

I am not trying to be difficult but just expect to receive what I was sold!

Are you in a position to help me?"

I sincerely doubt that I'll get any response from the management team.  I was told by Janese this morning that if I stopped paying my bill as I threatened, they would cut off my service and ruin my credit! I am just beside myself!! Can anyone help?

Labels (1)
Re: False info given about free phone promotion offered on iPhones!
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

SHABUR23, I am sorry to hear you ran into some issues with the BOGO promotion. I am here to assist. I have sent you a private message for further assistance. 

Justin_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
PStew

I’m not sure how To post my own complaint but for now I will post here.  I had a problem as well signing up for a new account and was supposed to get a promotional credit.  We had 4 lines and a gizmo gadget that was attached to our line that Had been put on hold since we hadn’t used it in over a year.  So for the deal we added a whole 5th line, for the promotion.  We actually bought two new iPhones that day and also paid off two different lines so our bill wouldn’t be so high.  I was told at the dealer that I could switch numbers from the gizmo gadget to the new line without any problems and it would still be a new one just change in number.  So I called Verizon and they said yeah no problem, we can just switch the numbers out. So this was September 2018.  December comes along and I realize my bill keeps going up (I was told it would take a couple months for the bill to go down) so as I have automatic bill pay I assumed it would eventually go down but I ended up having it go up to $350, $60 more than the month prior.  After looking into it further, I asked the rep to see where the promotional credit was as I did purchase two new iPhone xs’s and started a new line. He said that they took off the promotion (WITHOUT notifying me at all).  What?!  I purchased the extra line and 2 phones for the promotion otherwise I wouldn’t have started a new line. I wouldn’t have cared about switching a stupid number from a pathetic gizmo gadget if I would lose a promotional credit that I was promised when I signed up for a 5th line. I am furious with Verizon.  It was beyond sneaky and now we have payments set up for two new iPhone Xs’s over $1000 each and a new line in our account and they took off the credit Promised.  On top of it, the rep told me had I called one day sooner, I couldve switched back to the other number.  Yeah right Verizon!  You’ve been taking money out of my account automatically for years.  I shouldn’t have trusted You wouldn’t stay true to your word!! We have been customers for Verizon for years! I’m sorry but I’m not going to accept “oops we are sorry but now the promotional period has ended”.  I need this problem to be resolved and my credit added back to my account.

0 Likes
othernewguy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Lol same here this happened last year.  Sucks big time and they always say they can't do anything about it.  They will post on a message board that they are sorry and get back to you.  They may even send you a follow up email.  But what you won't get is a real resolution.  One year in on an iphone8 that should have been free.  Thanks Verizon.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

PStew, let's work on getting you transparency. Did the new line attached to the iphone, that was either the buy one, or the get one, get swapped into the Gizmo Gadget?

CraigS_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
PStew

The gizmo gadget isn’t in the picture anymore, it was already an inactive line before the BYGO. The phone numbers were just switched which I was told I could do without losing the new active line.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
josephe_vzw
Verizon Employee

It's always important that you get accurate information regarding any changes or promotions you attempt to take advantage of, othernewguy. I regret hearing that this has been ongoing for a year now without a resolution. I would be happy to take a fresh look at this and see what can be done. Please reply to the private message I have sent you.

JosephE_VZW

0 Likes
jeneller_vzw
Verizon Employee

PStew,

We want to get this corrected once and for all. I’ve sent you a private message here in the forum. Please check your inbox at https://community.verizonwireless.com/inbox to discuss further details about your concern.

JenelleR_VZW

0 Likes
PStew

I don’t see any private messages to me in my inbasket.

0 Likes
PStew

The gizmo gadget isn’t in the picture anymore.  It was already an inactive line before the BOGO.  The phone numbers were just switched as I was told would be okay without Losing the new active line.

0 Likes