Going over Data? With new iphone6
expectamiracle11

i have never went over 2GB data before.  Nothing significant has changed  yet sine I hit the new iphone 6 my data usage has skyrocketed to over 4GB now.   What is the problem?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Going over Data?  With new iphone6
Not applicable

Do you use wi-fi but keep the mobile data on. Yeah turn the mobile data off until you need it.

0 Likes
Re: Going over Data? With new iphone6
Weth
Legend

What phone did you have before.  My experience is going from 3G phone to LTE phone increases data by 1.5 to 2 x due to the faster data speeds.

0 Likes
Not applicable

That would only make sense if one is watching video. An app that is a 50 MB download is using 50 MB no matter what your speed is. It's not magically getting larger.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Agree, and that is most of the difference.  A little bit of YouTube or other video here and there adds up plus it will be higher resolution in most cases..  The other parts are buffering ahead more on video or music you may not then fully watch or listen.   Also web pages load faster, so you may have higher page views per unit time.  most of us are not downloading files but consuming media. 

You you can prove the difference by turning off LTE and seeing data use drop!

0 Likes
Not applicable

Well as far as I know I can turn mobile data off not LTE. If I do that I'm using wi-fi which is even faster. Yeah I see the pint is pages load faster so you see more ages thus more data being used. And that would be something someone wouldn't really notice. They could be looking at 25% more pages and not even think they are doing anything different then wonder why they used more data.

The Youtube app does have a setting where videos only stream in HD when on wi-fi. And Netflix has a setting where it will only stream on wi-fi. That;s good so that way if you are watching something and your wi-fi goes out you're not accidentally using mobile data.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

At least on Verizon iPhones there is a switch in cellular settings to turn LTE off.  I've used this personally and with many others to prove this point on higher data use with LTE.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I have a G2 and it doesn't have such a setting.

0 Likes
Loquat
Master - Level 1

Not sure if you use Facebook...but I noticed (and not right away) that if you don't turn off AutoPlay in the Facebook settings, then those videos posted by others can really start to dig into your data usage.  Just something else to consider...

B33
Legend

Great suggestion.!

0 Likes