HELP! New IPhone 4 has 9 hours of standby time!
fossey2

I've had my iPhone 4 for three weeks. It usually gave me two days under light usage; now, all of a sudden, I only get about 9 hours. Of standby! I used battery doctor to fully charge last nite before I went to bed, and woke up with a 9%  charge, and confirmed that all 9.5 hours since the last charge was on standby. I had long ago done all the tricks:

Wi-Fi off

Notifications: on for just one app (and haven't changed this setting recently)

Brightness: about 60%

Bluetooth: off

Mail: FindmyIphone: on; Gmail: on (only mail); Exchange: all on, sync 3 days,

Fetch new data:smileysurprised:ff

Room temperatue: 78 degrees

Signal: 5 bars, 3G

# of free space: 13.5GB

Again, without touching the phone (100% standby), and all the above settings, and a full charge, it drained to 9% in just 9.5 hours. Interestingly, I've noticed this turn towards 0 battery life after I downloaded the Pandora app two days ago. I deleted it, but the problem remains. Also, when I scroll through my contacts list, for example, it is very choppy, like something is processing in the background...Please help before I dump this phone on a Verizon store counter....!

Thanks,

Roland

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: HELP! New IPhone 4 has 9 hours of standby time!
Not applicable

Good afternoon, fossey2!

Having a new phone not work properly is frustrating!

Please see this link to Apple's site about their batteries and tips to retain a long battery life included on the right-side panel.

If you have further issues with the battery life on your iPhone, you can PM me directly with your name and mobile number and I'll help you further.

Thank you and have a great day!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

After removing the Pandora app did you try restarting or resetting the iPhone to see if that helped? You might also want to try a restore to see if that works if all else fails. Although some argue that clearing the apps doesn't do anything it never hurts to do that (double click the home button and then hold one of the apps shown until they start to wiggle with the minus sign on the left corner. Click each minus sign to clear the apps from being open).

0 Likes
mikedamirault
Contributor - Level 3

fossey2 wrote:

I've had my iPhone 4 for three weeks. It usually gave me two days under light usage; now, all of a sudden, I only get about 9 hours. Of standby! I used battery doctor to fully charge last nite before I went to bed, and woke up with a 9%  charge, and confirmed that all 9.5 hours since the last charge was on standby. I had long ago done all the tricks:

Wi-Fi off

Notifications: on for just one app (and haven't changed this setting recently)

Brightness: about 60%

Bluetooth: off

Mail: FindmyIphone: on; Gmail: on (only mail); Exchange: all on, sync 3 days,

Fetch new data:smileysurprised:ff

Room temperatue: 78 degrees

Signal: 5 bars, 3G

# of free space: 13.5GB

Again, without touching the phone (100% standby), and all the above settings, and a full charge, it drained to 9% in just 9.5 hours. Interestingly, I've noticed this turn towards 0 battery life after I downloaded the Pandora app two days ago. I deleted it, but the problem remains. Also, when I scroll through my contacts list, for example, it is very choppy, like something is processing in the background...Please help before I dump this phone on a Verizon store counter....!

Thanks,

Roland

I have an idea for what could be going on, do you close running apps after you are done with them?

Try this, double tap the home button (button with the white square), you should see a bar pop up at the bottom of the screen showing apps that are currently running in the background, hold down one of the apps until they begin to jiggle and you see a red dot on the upper left of the apps, now tap the red dot for the apps you are finished using (don't worry, it will not delete the app from your iPhone), I have noticed if I have less than 2 rows (8 apps, 4 apps per row) that my battery life seems to be pretty good, if I have more than 2 rows of apps running, then my battery tends to discharge much faster

What is happening is whenever you close out of an app, the app still runs in the background, allowing multitasking, the more apps you open in the background, the more apps you have that require processing power, the more prossing power, the more battery needs to be used, this is also why the iPhone may start to get slower the more apps you leave open, as they are competing for processing power, this is one of the reasons why Android phones are known to have such bad battery life, there is no active task manager on Android phones and therefore there is no way to close apps in the background and keep them closed (as the Android OS just wants to open them back up on it's own)

0 Likes
Not applicable

Good afternoon, fossey2!

Having a new phone not work properly is frustrating!

Please see this link to Apple's site about their batteries and tips to retain a long battery life included on the right-side panel.

If you have further issues with the battery life on your iPhone, you can PM me directly with your name and mobile number and I'll help you further.

Thank you and have a great day!

0 Likes