Has anyone had any luck getting a "damaged phone" charge removed?
bjmrockypt
Enthusiast - Level 2

My wife's iPhone 4 had an intermittent problem with a static/buzzing sound, whichseems to be a rather common problem according to the internet research I've done. We went to our local Verizon support center and had the phone checked out twice. The first time, we were told to upgrade the operating system. the problem persisted after we did that, so we went back. This time, the technician told us that the phone was under warranty and would be replaced. We were sent a new (reconditioned?) phone and we returned the original. Shortly thereafter, we got an email stating that the phone had obvious corrosion on the charging port and due to the damage we would be charged $149. The phone was not opened to check for water damage, the only diagnosis was visual observation of the outside of the phone.

Two Verizon technicians examined the phone, and neither of them remarked on any damage. The second technician told me that the phone was in warranty and did not mention anything about possible charges if the phone was adjudged to be damaged. If I had been told that the phone had corrosion and was going to be subject to a $149 charge, we would have lived with the occasional buzzing.

I called Verizon support and got a non-helpful representative, and a less helpful and noticeably ruder manager, neither of whom were interested in helping.

I feel that Verizon had an opportunity to advise me of damages when their two technicians examined the phone, and by telling me the phone would be replaced under warranty they made a commitment to a long-standing customer. I have to believe that if I could get to the right person in Verizon this would be remedied.

I know a lot of other folks have run into this corrosion business, has anyone found a way to reach somebody in Verizon who was able and willing to straighten out a situation like this?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Has anyone had any luck getting a "damaged phone" charge removed?
bjmrockypt
Enthusiast - Level 2

I sent emails to some of the Verizon executives describing my situation with the returned phone. I received a phone call this morning from a very nice woman from Verizon. I'm happy to report that after we discussed the events surrounding the replacement of the phone, she rescinded the $149 charge. I switched to Verizon because they had the best coverage in my area. They're keeping me as a customer because, in the end, they handled this affair well.

saf715

Hi, can you please tell me who you sent your letter to? Also, what did you tell them exactly? My situation is similar and I need your advice. I too am being charged $300 for corrosion on a phone when I fully inspected the phone and did not notice any sort of significant water damage. Please get back to me when you can.

Thank you

0 Likes
bjmrockypt
Enthusiast - Level 2

Go to http://aboutus.verizonwireless.com/leadership/executive/index.html

If you click on the "View Profile" under an exec's picture, you'll get an option to contact the exec by sending them an email. I contacted my regional sales and support execs and told them my story.

I had brought my iPhone into a Verizon service center twice, and the second time the guy there said the phone was under warranty and needed to be replaced. I followed his instructions, got the phone replaced, and then was told of this charge. Since I was told by a Verizon service person that the phone was covered, and since they did not open the phone up to check the water sensors, they negated the charge.

Did you go to Verizon and get the phone checked out before you sent it in? Do you know if the water sensors were checked?

0 Likes
saf715

I have went to a local Verizon store before I called Verizon. The worker at the Verizon store was of no help. I told him I had a Droid Razr Maxx and that it would constantly misbehave and have dropped calls and that I performed a factory reset 3 times already. He took the phone, examined it for a couple of minutes and told me there was nothing he could do except replace it because i was within the one year warranty. I asked him if he could replace it and he told me he wasn't able to at this moment.

Yes Verizon said the water sensor was not triggered but they sent me a pic of the corrosion. It looked very visible and if I had it at the time I would notice such damage. Also the Verizon person at the store examined the phone and did not tell me it has water damage. I'm not sure if he even recorded my visit to the store. About how long did you have to wait for a response from the executive? I'm new to Verizon and so far not impressed with customer service at all.

0 Likes
bjmrockypt
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got a response within a few days.

0 Likes
saf715

Just got a call from an executive he offered to remove it because he believed what I was saying. I think the YouTube video I posted helped me out. But yes he was really helpful!

0 Likes
edysdny

this reply is a bit after the fact but my daughter sent her phone to verizon for speak not working, when they recieved they said that Appls famous pink dot for water damage had been activated and that they would have to charge her $300 for another phone as this one was only 2 months old, My daughter said then just send my phone back and I will use it with the crackling speaker, they refused to send the phone back and said the chage would be put on her bill, they in no way informed her of this tactic prior to sending in the phone, they were not at all helpful with any resolve. My daughter reported to the better buisness bur and yes then there was resolve and no $300 charge

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

edysdny, no one wants to be charged $299 for a moisture damaged device. This can cause a very negative billing experience. We provide a one year manufacturer warranty on all of our devices. However, this phone replacement option does not cover physical or liquid damage. You may request pictures of that device to confirm damage if any. Additionally, we ask our customers prior to sending out a replacement questions regarding the condition of the phone and provide disclosures regarding the potential equipment charge if damage is determined. I apologize for this inconvenience and I hope that this explanation is helpful to you.

LasinaH_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
keithvw

I had a very similar issue.  My phone developed issues actively charging.  I tried to troubleshoot it with Verizon Wireless but they couldn't fix it and I was told to send it back in.  Later I was hit with a $300 charge because there was "evidence of water damage with corrosion" as indicated by the photos of the phone they sent me.  Except that the iPhone has two red water damage triggers that indicate when the phone has been water damaged, and the pictures clearly indicate there has been no water damage.  In fact, as a little basic research suggests, corrosion can also be cause by heat from the charger, so the whole thing sounds like a minor defect in the design.

I sent several hours over the past few days talking to Verizon, but they have so far refused to remove the charge.  I've always experienced nothing but good service from Verizon, so I'm very disappointed.

I will try to suggestion listed above about contacting regional executives, but if that doesn't work, I'll simply sue Verizon in small claims court.  It'll be a huge waste of my time, but my guess is I will get a judgement in my favor.

There's no way I'll pay this fee. 

0 Likes