How can I access the microphone for talk to text feature?
GGTN

I read previous solutions offered including choosing languages under settings, which is not there on my phone, or long clicking the "gear" icon next to the spacebar when in text, which is also not appearing.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How can I access the microphone for talk to text feature?
ponyruns
Contributor - Level 3

Oh this may mean that you actually have an iPhone 4, which does not support siri.  Check the back of your phone under the word iPhone look and the tiny print if your phone is an i phone 4s then you should see Model A1387.  If it is an iPhone 4 then you should see Model A1349.  Also if it is an iPhone 4S it will have a sim tray on the side of the phone if it is an iPhone 4 then it will not have the sim tray.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Lets get the voice to text feature up and running GGTN! Fill us in on the details and we'll walk you through the steps. What software are you on? http://vz.to/1kM24UU . Are you using the standard messaging app or a 3rd party? Are you having any trouble with Siri?

AshleyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
GGTN

I am not sure what software – my husband and I both have the same exact phone – iPhone 4S, and when he goes to respond to a text message the keyboard has the microphone icon. Mine does not and I have been unable to find a way to activate this feature.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

GGTN,

We want you to be able to enjoy using the voice features on your keyboard. Were you able to see what software your iPhone 4S is running? Settings>General>About>Verison. Does your device have an available software update? Settings>General>Software Update  If there is an available software update please update the device and let us know if the microphone appears.

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
ponyruns
Contributor - Level 3

To get the microphone icon on your messaging keyboard, Siri has to be enabled.  Try this, first completely shut down your messaging app.  Then go to settings --> general --> siri. Then enable siri, now when you open your messaging app you should see the microphone icon on your messaging keyboard.  hope that helps

0 Likes
GGTN

Thanks for your suggestion, but the settings section of my phone doesn’t have SIRI listed at all. Of all of the suggestions I found online this was the problem. Some suggested choosing a “gear” icon next to the space bar of the texting keyboard and I don’t have that, either.

0 Likes
GGTN

My phone is operating on version 7.0.4 (11B554a).

0 Likes
ponyruns
Contributor - Level 3

GGTN

Try this go to Settings --> General --> Restrictions.  If it asks for a pass code then enter the last 4 numbers o f your cell phone number.  Is Siri turned off on the restrictions screen?  If so turn it on and then you should be able to see Siri listed on the Settings --> General screen listed right above spotlight search.  Let me know if this helps

Bryan 

0 Likes
GGTN

Thanks again for your help. When I go to settings/general/restrictions I do not see SIRI in any of the sections. I selected “Enable Restrictions” and entered the passcode but still no SIRI.

0 Likes
ponyruns
Contributor - Level 3

Oh this may mean that you actually have an iPhone 4, which does not support siri.  Check the back of your phone under the word iPhone look and the tiny print if your phone is an i phone 4s then you should see Model A1387.  If it is an iPhone 4 then you should see Model A1349.  Also if it is an iPhone 4S it will have a sim tray on the side of the phone if it is an iPhone 4 then it will not have the sim tray.

0 Likes