How can I disable the lock screen so Siri can read text messages aloud?
thundley57

I use my iPhone 5S connected to a motorcycle helmet headset via bluetooth.  On my iPhone 4S I was able to have Siri recite and send texts via voice command but since upgrading to the 5S running IOS 7.0.4, I am unable to do this with Siri telling me that I need to unlock the screen on my phone 1st.  Obviously, I am unable to unlock my phone while riding and as this is a company phone, I am unable to change the setting to allow me to prevent it from screen locking.  Is there a setting that will allow me to work with Siri while the phone is locked or allow me to unlock the screen while using Siri?  Thanks!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unable to disable screen lock so as to read text messages via Siri while connected to motorcycle helmet headset
jkmsc
Enthusiast - Level 2

Have you tried allowing Siri access within the settings? You can allow Siri access from locked screen by going to Settings -> General -> Touch ID and Password. Then, there's a section for "ALLOW ACCESS WHEN LOCKED" ... Make sure Siri is enabled.

Also, in case you didn't know, there's an update for 7.0.6 that you can download by going to Settings -> General -> Software update

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Unable to disable screen lock so as to read text messages via Siri while connected to motorcycle helmet headset
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Thundley57,

Fantastic question! I know how important it is to have Voice Activated commands while riding your motorcycle. Siri is designed to only work once the phone is unlocked. This protects someone from Voice commanding your private information like texts for example, while the phone is locked. You would have to disable the lock code feature from the device while riding to use voice commands http://vz.to/1bmGwOT.

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes
jkmsc
Enthusiast - Level 2

Have you tried allowing Siri access within the settings? You can allow Siri access from locked screen by going to Settings -> General -> Touch ID and Password. Then, there's a section for "ALLOW ACCESS WHEN LOCKED" ... Make sure Siri is enabled.

Also, in case you didn't know, there's an update for 7.0.6 that you can download by going to Settings -> General -> Software update

0 Likes