How do I unlock my iPhone 4?
Vsgirl8600
Enthusiast - Level 2

Does an iPhone 4 need to be unlocked in order to use on a non-Verizon network?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unlocking iPhone 4
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It cannot be unlocked, period. The phone isn't compatible with any other network. It can only be used on the Verizon Wireless network.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The iphone 4 designed Verizon Wireless doesn't have the radio hardware.  It can't be unlocked for use on another network.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Vsgirl8600
Enthusiast - Level 2

So does that mean it can't be unlocked for use on another network, thereby rendering it no good to another network user,  or it doesn't need to be unlocked in order to work on another network?  Sorry for all the questions .. this is one area in which I know very little. 

Thanks again. 

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Smartphone

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It cannot be unlocked, period. The phone isn't compatible with any other network. It can only be used on the Verizon Wireless network.

rcschnoor
Legend

Yes, when Ann154 says "it can't be unlocked for use on another network" that means "it can't be unlocked for use on another network, thereby rendering it no good to another network user."

Verizon uses CDMA radios for its cellular voice connections and most other networks use GSM(AT&T, T-Mobile) radios. The iPhone 4 on Verizon ONLY has a CDMA radio in the phone, NOT a GSM radio and would therefore not be able to connect to a GSM network even if Verizon would/could unlock it.

The iPhone 5 for Verizon, on the other hand, DOES have both CDMA and GSM radios.

Vsgirl8600
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you very much. 

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Smartphone

0 Likes