How do I wipe and deactivate my old phone?
Clover1430
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi!

I recently upgraded to an iphone 6 from my iphone 4s. I followed the instructions to activate the phone (and yes, I turned off the old phone before I did this). My question is: When you activate the new phone, is the old phone automatically deactivated or is there something I need to do additionally? I am trading this phone in and the paperwork stresses that it must be deactivated before you send it. I had done a factory reset on it when I turned it back on after activating the new device as it was still getting updates from apps and such and I need to clear that all out anyway in order to trade it in. Any help in this matter is appreciated, Thank You.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Iphone deactivation
Weth
Legend

You need to turn off find my iPhone

After you do that then do a Settings/General/Reset/Erase all content and settings.

If you still had apps updating, you did not do a factory reset!

View solution in original post

Weth
Legend

You need to turn off find my iPhone

After you do that then do a Settings/General/Reset/Erase all content and settings.

If you still had apps updating, you did not do a factory reset!

Clover1430
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks! I had never activated Find my iphone on that phone. The apps were refreshing before I did the factory reset. I've not gone past the setup on the phone after the reset.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Then it should be at the setup screens just like when you bought it, no lock code to get to the setup. If that is where you are, then you are all set.

0 Likes
Clover1430
Enthusiast - Level 1

Perfect. Thank you!

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

One last thing to put you at ease. Put in your phones serial number or IMEI# in this Apple site to make sure the activation lock is off.

https://www.icloud.com/activationlock/

Clover1430
Enthusiast - Level 1

Good to go! Thanks so much.

0 Likes
DianeV1

That site is no longer available.  Even though phone shows Verizon 3G at top is it still deactiviated?

Thanks.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

If you have the same number on the new phone your old SIM card and phone are automatically deactivated.    If you got a new number, then you have to stop service on the old line.  

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to make sure we're able to help, DianeV1. Could you please tell us a little more about your question?  DavidR_VZW

0 Likes