How hard does it need to be to get a phone?
colorado5s

I've been wanting to get an iphone 5 since it came out. I have spent nearly six hours trying to order and get one, all to no avail. I tried first at a CenturyLink (formerly Qwest) location and at that time there was a ten day delay, and the rep suggested I order it at Apple online at 10pm to get a phone at an Apple store the next day. After the online application failed, I called Apple, and they said it was a problem with Verizon, and I needed to contact them. I am in the coverage area according to their maps, but where Verizon was mapping my house (miles and mountains away from where I live), there is not service, so they wouldn't set up an account. I tried Verizon and I still couldn't get it worked out, even though I explained that other people have used their Verizon service at my home. I went back to a CenturyLink booth at a mall, they charged me $200 and now said the phone would arrive in two business days. It's been a week and still no phone. Verizon has called my home number twice and asked me to call them back regarding mobile service. I called and spoke to 3 different people and none of them could even locate me in their system, but I obviously am in their system or they wouldn't keep robo-calling me. I emailed CenturyLink and they told me that it was Verizon as well.

I'm hoping to get an answer from Verizon. There was no way to email them as they needed their account number which I don't have as I am set up through CenturyLink.

What a PITA! Hopefully somebody will decide to do their job. Can I expect this same level of crappy service once I am a customer?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How hard does it need to be to get a phone?
Not applicable

colorado5s wrote:

I've been wanting to get an iphone 5 since it came out. I have spent nearly six hours trying to order and get one, all to no avail. I tried first at a CenturyLink (formerly Qwest) location and at that time there was a ten day delay, and the rep suggested I order it at Apple online at 10pm to get a phone at an Apple store the next day. After the online application failed, I called Apple, and they said it was a problem with Verizon, and I needed to contact them. I am in the coverage area according to their maps, but where Verizon was mapping my house (miles and mountains away from where I live), there is not service, so they wouldn't set up an account. I tried Verizon and I still couldn't get it worked out, even though I explained that other people have used their Verizon service at my home.

They could have been roaming.

0 Likes
TomCat03
Contributor - Level 3

if other people around you have an iphone the chances are they probably used a different Zip when setting up the account. I didn't even know you needed a physical location for them to tell you that you could get a phone. If there are cell towers in the area and a VZW store nearby then you shouldn't have an issue.

I thought i5's were still backordered but I had a co-worker go to her local provider's store Monday (not sure who her provider is) and she was able to get a black 16GB that was in stock.

0 Likes
colorado5s

Thanks for the input. I'm not in a roaming area according to their maps; I'm a half mile away from a major interstate. I have since emailed CenturyLink and called Verizon. CenturyLink said the holdup was Verizon. This time Verizon told me I didn't return a terms and agreements confirmation email. I wasn't expecting it and it wasn't emailed to me until 6 days later, noting that I had 24 hours to return it, or I would be cancelled. It also got trapped in my junk mail folder. So I have to start the whole process over.

Since Apple and Verizon couldn't set it up when I contacted them, the farthest I got was with CenturyLink, so I guess I'll go back through them, and this time watch for the terms and conditions agreement. Why they just didn't have me sign it at CenturyLink, I don't know. So maybe I'll get an iphone with only ten hours of work. What a terrible experience, how many people do they lose by making it so difficult? I don't even have a phone and I'm already disgusted by their poor customer service; I'm not looking forward to dealing with them in the future, but I guess you either get lousy coverage, or poor customer service in the mobile game. I guess the good thing is that I have a couple cases and screen protectors that will be here before the phone arrives; one case I've had for a couple days now.

0 Likes