How to use iPhone 5 Personal Hotspot?
kveille

I just switched over to Verizon with the new iPhone 5. I tried setting up my personal hotspot, but none of my devices are recognizing in the list of available wi-fi connections. I've tried using my first generation iPad and MacBook Pro. Any ideas?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How to use iPhone 5 Personal Hotspot?
xfAz3v

First you have to make sure your bluetooth is on then turn on your personal hotspot under General an then under cellular an switch it to on or activate it if your plan already allows you then do a full power cycle an then it should pop up under the bluetooth..

0 Likes
xfAz3v

Then go on your mac or iPad an look for it be whatever your named your phone i asked the same thing if your device don't recognize it then more then likely its not on or not activated but once its achieve then you well see it in your network on your macbook or iPad.

0 Likes
kveille

So, I have to connect to them via bluetooth and not wifi?

0 Likes
anthonyb861
Contributor - Level 2

I think your phone has to have the Bluetooth turned on. When you connect the the laptop to phone you would go to wifi on laptop. Just guessing tho as I haven't tried it yet

0 Likes
kveille

I was able to connect via bluetooth with my iPad. The iPhone 5 still isn't showing up in the wifi list on my computer. I tried syncing the computer via bluetooth and it said it wasn't supported.

0 Likes
slm_qc

Also using a MacBook Pro and initially encountered the same problem. You can use the USB, BlueTooth or Wi-Fi to connect. Because I use Wi-Fi for my primary service, I'm only using the iPhone 5 as BlueTooth hot spot.

If you have already attempted to establish your BlueTooth connection, terminate it and start again. Make sure the Wi-Fi is off and the BlueTooth is on your computer. Restart both your computer and iPhone. Click on the BlueTooth icon on the MacBook. You should see your iPhone and the normal steps from there.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi kveille,

Using the personal hotspot can become tricky as there are three different options available. Based on your details, it sounds like you've been trying the option to connect using WiFi on your computer and iPad. We have the steps needed for iOS 6 to activate and use WiFi so I encourage to use these exact steps to get it to work http://bit.ly/SFLD2b. You will need to check that the MacBook Pro is setup to pick up the network the right way. Check by following http://bit.ly/PJkOWZ. Step 9 demonstrates how to find the network name that you can look for on your computer. Try these steps and keep us posted to the status of the connection.

Thank you,
MariaC_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

manueltech

Once you lose the connection between the devices, this procedure is useless...  I may get lucky by resting the iPhone 5 and the ipod touch 4g / iPad 1st gen..  Is this Verizon issue or Apple issue?

0 Likes
daddyO812

I have to reset my iphone every time i want to use the personal hotspot -- not seen by my laptop(s) or iPad unless i restart the phone.  Had iphone 4 on AT&T and it worked much, much better.

0 Likes