How to use old iPhone 5 as iPod
rotorwash

I just upgraded to a iPhone 6.  I want to use my old iPhone 5 as an iPod.  However I keep getting a message I need a sim card.  I have tried instructions found at Using an iPhone without a wireless service plan - Apple Support (which is now unsupported by Apple).  Does Verizon or anyone else have any ideas.

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How to use old iPhone 5 as iPod
mama23dogs
Legend

I Have done the same thing with my old Galaxy S3.  If you have any SIM card it will stop the message. 

if you ever have to reset it it will need the SIM card anyway.

i Guess this is the future since no more iPOD touch will be made.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

I Have done the same thing with my old Galaxy S3.  If you have any SIM card it will stop the message. 

if you ever have to reset it it will need the SIM card anyway.

i Guess this is the future since no more iPOD touch will be made.

0 Likes
Loquat
Master - Level 1

Mama23dogs,

Have they officially cancelled the iPod Touch?  I've been holding out because my son wants a new one and I've just gone on with thinking that Apple have diverted so much of its resources to iPhone 6/6+, Apple Watch, and iPad that they just hadn't gotten around to it yet.  If they're indeed gone then he'll just have to make due with what he's got because I'm certainly not buying him a phone.  The first phone he gets will be the one he purchases when he's old enough to get a job and pay for the frills in life...

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Yes.  Sorry to say it is official.  The iPOD touch is no longer going to be made.  The nano and shuffle are still going to be produced.

Apple is putting all resources into the iPhone and new watch.

ANy iphone that has activation lock removed can be activated on iTunes as an iPod touch.  I actually use my old Samsung Galaxy S3 as an MP3 player.

0 Likes
Loquat
Master - Level 1

I guess there are other options...

0 Likes