I can't believe this
Vdede626
Contributor - Level 1

My mom opened a verizon account and got a Iphone 5 and she was going to give it to me. Verizon says that she has to activate it first then I can swap it over to me. Is this true is there any other way around this please help. I guess i will do what I have to do I guess. Anyone else have to do this. I was also told I can keep my unlimited data but I can't transfer the insurance. very weird.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: I can't believe this
budone
Legend

All is correct. Your Mom gets the phone under her upgrade, she has to activate it for a second or two, then switch back to her old phone.

You once you activate the phone will lose your insurance as it is based on the phone the insurance was purchased on.

0 Likes
Vdede626
Contributor - Level 1

Well we have seperate accounts but she still has to activate the iphone 5 under her account first right.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Yes. If she just gives it to you, and does not activate it, she will be charged the full price for the phone.

0 Likes
Vdede626
Contributor - Level 1

Willi ever be able to activate a phone on her line.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Well I am kind of lost now. I kust re-read your first message. You say she opened a NEW ACCOUNT to get the phone for you. If she activates and gives the phone to you, she HAS to have another phone to swap with or she will have a huge ETF.

But yes, she activates the phone on her line. Then takes another VZW phone, goes online and swaps to the other phone she plans on using for two years, then the iPhone is free for you to use. Basically ya need three phones to get through the process, since this involves two different accounts.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

I have seen contradicting info on this. Some have said they didn't have to activate it on their account first. They contacted VZW or went to one and had the activation taken care of on the account they want it on. Others have said they activated first on the account it was ordered on and then had to go through the sim aging process before it could be activated on a different account. A VZW employee posted on here that you can order the iPhone 5 and sell it without activating it or opening the box (this was in a thread where the OP wanted to sell the phone but needed to know if they could do so without activating it first). My suggestion is to take the phone (and your mother) to your local VZW store when it arrives FIRST. Don't open it, don't power it on. This may delay when you can activate it on another line based on all of the posts related to the aging process issue. Your mother WILL have to have another phone to activate on the line she opened because she is now obligated to a 2 year contract with VZW. Otherwise, she will be charged full retail for the iPhone. It doesn't matter if you have it activated on your line. She is still responsible for the 2 year contract she agreed to in order to get the device for you.