I don't think I can connect to wifi with my iPhone 5 - help?
Lisp
Enthusiast - Level 2

I heard that I can tell if my iPhone 5 is connected to wifi by seeing a wifi icon in the upper left corner of the display. I don't see that icon. Looking in Wi-Fi Settings, it looks like I'm connected because the wireless network I want to connect to (my home wifi) seems to show it's connected, because right under where I turn Wi-Fi on (it is green, so it's turned on) I see the name of my wifi network with a lock and a black wireless icon. That seems to me that I would be connected. But, I just don't see the wireless icon in the upper left corner so I don't think I'm really connected. (What I do see is three solid dots, two open dots, and "LTE" so that would mean I'm connected to the cellular network.) And, it would make sense to see that wireless icon on my main display because it would be a pain to have to go into settings to see if I'm connected to wifi. I'd appreciate any help with this. Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I don't think I can connect to wifi with my iPhone 5 - help?
Weth
Legend

Then you are not connected to wifi. Click in your wifi name and enter your wifi password.  The check mark indicates you are connected, no check, no connection.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Does it have a blue check to the left of your wifi network? Is it like Home below or Wifisecure? 

image.jpg

0 Likes
Lisp
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks so much for responding. No, I don't have a blue checkmark there. Sometimes I get a swirling icon to show it's looking, but then that icon goes away and I see nothing in its place. Oh, so it looks like WiFiSecure in your screen shot, including the padlock icon.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Then you are not connected to wifi. Click in your wifi name and enter your wifi password.  The check mark indicates you are connected, no check, no connection.

0 Likes
Lisp
Enthusiast - Level 2

Okay, so to know I'm connected, I need to see a blue check mark. Good to know. I have previously clicked on my network name, but there is no option to enter a password or anything that indicates entering something to connect. Maybe I should delete my home wifi network off the phone and start over by adding it? You have helped me to at least know how to know I'm connected. Thanks!

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Yes, delete the connection.  Before reconnecting, unplug your wifi router for 30 seconds then plug back in.  Wait a few minutes, then try connecting again. 

Lisp
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, I'll try this tonight and will let you know how it goes. Thanks so much for your help.

0 Likes
Lisp
Enthusiast - Level 2

I guess by "delete the connection" you mean "Forget this network," right? That puts it down in the "Choose a Network" area, so it's still there. But, I do have to enter my password to reconnect. I guess there's no way to totally delete it, nor do I need to, right? I assume this is what you're recommending so I'll turn off my Airport Extreme for a couple minutes, turn it back on, and then try to connect my iPhone again to it.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Yes, forget this network is right.

Forget network, then reboot router, then reconnect.

Forget network does delete the details of that connection on the device. The bottom part, choose a network, just lists wifi access points in range, but not necessarily remembered by the device.

0 Likes
Lisp
Enthusiast - Level 2

Oh my goodness, I first tried restarting my iPhone in case that would work. I was hesitant to reboot the Airport because I didn't want to encounter any issues with my computer connections in the meantime. It's late and I want to go to bed, you see. Anyway, restarting the iPhone worked! I now have a blue checkmark to the left of my home wireless network. I also now see a wireless icon in the upper left corner of the iPhone display. Yay! It's there in addition to the cell strength, but I assume wireless will be used instead of the cellphone connection because I see the wireless icon. Is that correct? Thank you so much and I'm glad you responded after my last question. You have been a great help.

0 Likes