I keep getting dropped calls, what gives?
PhantomFlow

I just got the iPhone6 (gray) ios 8.3 model MG632LL/A on 5/8/15. I purchased the phone at Costco and am considering returning it. 5 dropped calls in 4 days, the most I've ever had with Verizon. I reset network settings as instructed, but my signal strength is still weak (1-2 bars vs 3-4 with the iPhone 4S) and during conversations I get the metallic voice chop out routine.

Looking at the dates on these threads it seems the issue has not been resolved. Is this a phone-antenna problem? If so, can I boost the antenna or shall I go back to an earlier iPhone? Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I keep getting dropped calls, what gives?
Loquat
Master - Level 1

Weth is right...I was having the same issues with my iP6+ until I stopped using advanced calling.  When the feature was active I was experiencing dropped calls with 3-4 bars of signal strength.  I've since disabled it and the problem has went away...I'll give it a try again when the service is a bit more advanced in my area.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

If you have advanced calling on turn it off. Go to settings and cellular and where the LTE setting is make sure it says data only not voice plus data.

Weth
Legend

Also keep in mind that the signal level on the 4S was the 3G signal and on the 6 it is the LTE signal so it is measuring different incoming signals and will not match.

0 Likes
Loquat
Master - Level 1

Weth is right...I was having the same issues with my iP6+ until I stopped using advanced calling.  When the feature was active I was experiencing dropped calls with 3-4 bars of signal strength.  I've since disabled it and the problem has went away...I'll give it a try again when the service is a bit more advanced in my area.

0 Likes
PhantomFlow

The phone came with those settings interestingly. It must be that the LTE network's signal then, is much weaker than the 3G. If I turn LTE off, will that put me on 3G by default?

To: A Pano <arpanopoulos@yahoo.com>

Sent: Monday, May 11, 2015 7:27 PM

Subject: - I keep getting dropped calls, what gives?

#yiv1811360233 img

|

|

|

A message from the Verizon Wireless Community

|

| |

created by Weth in iPhone 6 - View the full discussion If you have advanced calling on turn it off. Go to settings and cellular and where the LTE setting is make sure it says data only not voice plus data. Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Verizon Wireless Community Start a new discussion in iPhone 6 by email or at Verizon Wireless Community

|

|

© 2014 Verizon Wireless

Verizon Wireless

One Verizon Way

Mail Code: 180WVB

Basking Ridge, NJ 07920

Not interested in these emails anymore, or want to change how often they come? Update your email preferences by visiting https://community.verizonwireless.com/user-preferences!input.jspa.

|

We respect your privacy. Please review our privacy policy for more information

about click activity with Verizon Wireless and links included in this email.

|

|

|

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Just turn off LTE for voice, keep LTE for data. (There are 3 settings for LTE OFF, DATA, VOICE+DATA)

Then all your calls will go over the 1x system, like every other phone on Verizon except the ones that are set up for Advanced Calling. 3G never does phone calls, it is data only.

The only big negative is you will lose the ability to talk and surf at the same time unless on wifi. With Advanced Calling you can voice and surf at the same time.

PhantomFlow

The original settings had LTE for Data only (I sent the screenshot). I found that turning off LTE altogether restored normal phone reception and stregth, so there must be a bug when selecting "Data only" as it destroys my call capabilty. 

To: A Pano <arpanopoulos@yahoo.com>

Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 9:57 AM

Subject: - I keep getting dropped calls, what gives?

#yiv7152843013 img

|

|

|

A message from the Verizon Wireless Community

|

| |

created by Weth in iPhone 6 - View the full discussionJust turn off LTE for voice, keep LTE for data. (There are 3 settings for LTE OFF, DATA, VOICE+DATA)Then all your calls will go over the 1x system, like every other phone on Verizon except the ones that are set up for Advanced Calling. 3G never does phone calls, it is data only. The only big negative is you will lose the ability to talk and surf at the same time unless on wifi. With Advanced Calling you can voice and surf at the same time.

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Verizon Wireless Community Start a new discussion in iPhone 6 by email or at Verizon Wireless Community

|

|

© 2014 Verizon Wireless

Verizon Wireless

One Verizon Way

Mail Code: 180WVB

Basking Ridge, NJ 07920

Not interested in these emails anymore, or want to change how often they come? Update your email preferences by visiting https://community.verizonwireless.com/user-preferences!input.jspa.

|

We respect your privacy. Please review our privacy policy for more information

about click activity with Verizon Wireless and links included in this email.

|

|

|

0 Likes
Loquat
Master - Level 1

You may just be in an area that has spotty LTE coverage or maybe even there is an issue that VZW isn't aware of...

0 Likes