If i turn off my cellular data i wont be able to get text message on Iphone 5. Why is that
Ray5

I have turned of the data on my Iphone 5 and i noticed that some of the text messages from my friends wont get through. Isn't text  message suppose to use the phone network?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: If i turn off my cellular data i wont be able to get text message on Iphone 5. Why is that
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Picture messages require a cellular data connection to send/receive.  However, they count against your text package, not your data plan.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: If i turn off my cellular data i wont be able to get text message on Iphone 5. Why is that
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Picture messages require a cellular data connection to send/receive.  However, they count against your text package, not your data plan.

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

Also, iMessage requires data (unless you have it sent to send as SMS).

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Yes, text messages are supposed to use the phone network.

Apple, in it's wisdom, though, has decided to use iMessage, as opposed to regular texting like every other cellular manufacturer, which uses the data network. Depending on the settings of your phone, it is quite possible that this may be the problem.

As others have mentioned, MMS messages also need to use the data network even though this usage does not detract from your data allowance.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

In Settings > Cellular, I individually turn off data for all but a few apps. All messages still come through fine.

0 Likes
jayjay1122
Enthusiast - Level 3

iMessage is why you are having trouble with messages with cellular data turned off. Of course, this only has bearing if you are messaging another iPhone user with iMessage enabled as well.

Two options here:

1. Keep cellular data enabled and continue to use iMessage.

2. Disable iMessage altogether and only ues SMS.

Just thought I would mention that iMessage is not meant to be the de facto standard method for messaging. It is there as a feature to allow iPhone users to communicate with each other across multiple devices and without dealing with SMS restrictions that some people face. It is the same concept as BBM or Blackberry Messenger.

Bottom line, if you want cellular data turned off, just disable iMessage as well.

Settings -> Messages -> iMessage Off.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

rcschnoor, thanks for helping us support Ray5 with information regarding SMS Messaging and iMessaging on an iPhone. For more information regarding text messaging, click  http://vz.to/1kg0auv

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

SydneyK, thanks for keeping us posted. If this issue returns, we also recommend that you disable/enable messaging in Settings >Messages. For more device support, click http://bit.ly/y5iuoj

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes