Iphone 5 data usage during late night hours...
Pappascw

My wife never got the 50 percent usage email until this month,  she hasn't even come close.   I started tracking her data usage and see high usage 50 to 100 meg around 3-4 am. What's using data then?  I see a lot of people mentioning that?  Does Verizon have an explanation for that????  Ive been disabling everything and it seems to still be happening.  2GB is plenty of data for her but not if its using 50 mb chunks when shes not even on it?  This 2, 3, 4am timeframe seems to be mentioned on many occasions..

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Iphone 5 data usage during late night hours...
ajleemax800

Were you able to ever discover what was using large amounts of data

0 Likes
charlie_chandler

Mine does the same. No one can explain it to me though. i go thru 6GB a month, to where i only used 1GB on my android previoius phone

0 Likes
SS_CH

I am having the same problem

0 Likes
OmniGLH

I am having this same issue.  Wife and I both on iPhones, me on a 5S, her on a 4. 

My 5S has burned through 400MB of data so far in this billing cycle and it's not even halfway over - all in the wee hours of the night, when I am definitely NOT using the phone.  The house has WiFi and it's set up to be connected to it.

Her iPhone 4 is not doing this (it IS on iOS 7).  It's only my 5S.

0 Likes
muvotx
Contributor - Level 2

My findings are summarized in my video + discussions HERE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47CM06N5gIo

Basically iphone 5 models are data money machines for Verizon.... They sell you on the marketing pitch speed and reliability of their LTE, gouge you with the bill with over charges behind the scenes and convince you to upgrade to a higher - unlimited data plan.

I have essentially had to dial back 95% of my 5c "smart phone" features to gain control over the RAMPANT data use over the Verizon LTE network.  Yes mine too was chugging, churning eating cellular data ALL HOURS OF THE DAY+NIGHT, despite being on my Comcast wifi network 95% of the time, and wifi 100% of the time from about 6PM~10AM.

As a final note, my co workers 5c, and 5s on AT&T does not behave this way, neither does my wifes old 4s on Verizon.... all 4 phones on the same Apple iOS.

0 Likes
OmniGLH

Yeah I found your video in another thread.  Some good info there.  I took some of your tips and will see if it makes a difference.

Sadly the availability of LTE is the big reason I dumped my old 4 for a 5S.  I have a long commute each day via the train and will poke around on the phone to kill time, and the increased speeds are nice IMO.  After seeing your posts along with several others, and thinking back - we never had a data problem when I was on my 4.  Suddenly now with the 5S we're running out of data halfway through the billing cycle.  I'm not doing anything different, I don't use FaceTime, don't stream videos or music (as I am conscious of my data usage and have been since switching to Verizon and giving up my old "unlimited" AT&T plan).  My usage behavior really hasn't changed at all... except apparently I am sleep-surfing at 3am and disabling my WiFi...

0 Likes