Iphone 5c overage every month
jschools8589

Can anyone tell me their average monthly data usage without connecting to wifi? I have a 8 GB plan and go over EVER month by myself. How is this possible? I have celluar data turned off on most of my apps (including e-mail), auto play turned off, and I turn my celluar data off most nights when I go to bed. I do not connect to wifi but I did not on my old phone either and never went over 5 GB. What good is a phone if I cant use it to its potential? I should have never upgraded from my unlimited plan.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Iphone 5c overage every month
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can understand your concern with the increase of usage, jschools8589. Every person and phone is different, so what one person may average will not usually be what's true for the next person. You've already taken some great steps toward managing your usage though. When you go into Settings > Cellular and scroll down, what are the top 5 applications listed? Have you been listening to any streaming music or watching videos?

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
jschools8589

It looks like the top apps are safari, Facebook, app store, Spotify, then Etsy but again I am not doing anything different with this phone that I was not doing with my old phone. I was on the phone for an hour yesterday with a tech from Verizon with no solution. I just don't understand how I am using this much data by myself. What good is the phone if I have to turn everything off? I went back a year on my plan and most months I used around 4 GB and occasionally went to 5 so I assumed I would be completely safe with 8 GB. There is clearly an issue somewhere.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can understand your concern, especially over something like this that impacts your bill. Did you have a 3G phone before this 4G iPhone? While you may be accessing the same sites, you are able to do a whole lot more with the 10x faster speeds on 4G than you would on 3G. For example, loading pages on Facebook while on 3G may take longer than loading a page on 4G, so it allows you to scroll through pages faster, and thus using more data. You may feel that you might be using the same amount of time for the same apps, but 4G is faster and you will load more in the same amount of time.

0 Likes
jschools8589

My old phone was a Droid Razr M so it was 4G

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That definitely does leave some doubt as to what is going on! Now you have turned off cellular data on all those apps listed previously, do you still see that your data is increasing and still going over your 8GB plan? How much data is each of those apps showing used currently?

0 Likes
jschools8589

Also I have two apps that are greyed out on the main screen. I am guessing because they need to be updated? Now I am noticing that if I turn cellular data off and exit then I go back in those two apps are showing as still using data.

0 Likes
Planetkimi
Enthusiast - Level 2

We are having the exact same problem. With 6 phones, our data stayed between 10-12 Gygs a month the entire 2 years. We all got iPhone5c the end of May '14 and EVERY month our data usage is 24+ gygs and that's NOT including the 1 FREE gyg a month they said they gave us for 12 months. A little over a month ago, one of the lines switched back to a Galaxy and her monthly data usage has dropped OVER HALF! I pulled up the data usage online for each number before and after getting the new iPhones. In the months AFTER, there's a total number of data entries billed for, but gets repeated, which explains our data usage supposedly doubling. I'll use my daughters as an example. There were 915 entries and she was billed over 10 gygs. The first 4 days of the billing cycle was her OLD phone, entries 1-9, 5/23-5/27. Entries 10-482 was her new phone, 5/28-6/22. But there are 915 entries. That's because they repeat EXACTLY. Entry 483 is exactly the same as entry 10.

484 is exactly the same as 11. So are 485 and 12, 486 and 13, 487 and 14... And so on, ending with entry 915 being exactly the same as entry 482. Verizon claims we were not doubled charged, but the total  claimed as usage and the total billed for, are the exact same dates, times and usage amounts REPEATED! It's been a few weeks and we are still arguing with them and trying to get out of this stupid contract because somehow we have hit almost 13 gygs in 2 weeks. We have purposely been staying off our internet and yet it gets higher and higher and NOBODY will do anything about it!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Planetkimi!

Let's take a closer look into this for you! I'd like to explain that the 4G iPhone devices are a little different, by design from the manufacturer. When using Wifi, if the device goes to standby mode (when the screen goes blank), cellular data is used by default. I would recommend turning off cellular data (settings/cellular data) when using Wifi. This allows you to keep better track of VZW network usage and Wifi usage. Please let us know how this works out for you.

Thanks!

ChristinaB_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
jschools8589

So after finding out today that you can pull a detailed
report on My Verizon ( I called a few days ago and asked to see something
showing my data usage and was told repeatedly there was nothing they could give
me?) I can see where every single night at random times in between 12-6 am my
phone is using data. Adding up the data in one month equates to almost a half a