Just got a new phone
TeamPararescue

Went through the setup process and it's not activating. It gives me a message to call support but I can't because the phone's not activated. I've taken out the sim card and replaced it and powered it off and on several times with no luck. Help!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Just got a new phone
Ptmc518
Contributor - Level 3

Do you have a computer with iTunes?  You should be able to plug the phone into your computer and activate it there.  The below steps are for an iPhone 4S but should be the same for iPhone 6/6+:

Step 2 - Activate iPhone

You can activate your new iPhone wirelessly using a Wi-Fi® connection or with iTunes.

1. Turn on your new iPhone by pressing the On / Off button.

2. Follow the Setup Assistant on-screen instructions to select a Wi-Fi network and activate your device.

If no Wi-Fi network is available, tap Connect to iTunes.

• Ensure you have the latest version of iTunes. If you are new to iTunes, you will need to download the latest version from the Apple® website.
    • Business and government customers: Please work with your IT department to ensure you are using an approved version of iTunes for your business or agency.

3. When prompted, review the Software License Agreement and, if you agree, click Agree to continue. Once activation is complete, a message will display on your iPhone.

4. Complete the remaining steps of the Setup Assistant, including restoring data from your iTunes or iCloud backup, if applicable.

Notes:

• It may take up to three minutes to complete activation.
  • If you ordered iPhone 4S or iPhone 4 8GB by phone, you will receive a text message when activation is complete, which will include instructions to dial *228 and press Call from your device to accept the Verizon Wireless Customer Agreement. iPhone will be ready for use once this step is complete.

View solution in original post

Ptmc518
Contributor - Level 3

Do you have a computer with iTunes?  You should be able to plug the phone into your computer and activate it there.  The below steps are for an iPhone 4S but should be the same for iPhone 6/6+:

Step 2 - Activate iPhone

You can activate your new iPhone wirelessly using a Wi-Fi® connection or with iTunes.

1. Turn on your new iPhone by pressing the On / Off button.

2. Follow the Setup Assistant on-screen instructions to select a Wi-Fi network and activate your device.

If no Wi-Fi network is available, tap Connect to iTunes.

• Ensure you have the latest version of iTunes. If you are new to iTunes, you will need to download the latest version from the Apple® website.
    • Business and government customers: Please work with your IT department to ensure you are using an approved version of iTunes for your business or agency.

3. When prompted, review the Software License Agreement and, if you agree, click Agree to continue. Once activation is complete, a message will display on your iPhone.

4. Complete the remaining steps of the Setup Assistant, including restoring data from your iTunes or iCloud backup, if applicable.

Notes:

• It may take up to three minutes to complete activation.
  • If you ordered iPhone 4S or iPhone 4 8GB by phone, you will receive a text message when activation is complete, which will include instructions to dial *228 and press Call from your device to accept the Verizon Wireless Customer Agreement. iPhone will be ready for use once this step is complete.
narntek
Contributor - Level 3

You'd need to call tech support from a separate line, not the iPhone 6, because a service will be done to that particular phone, and cannot if the phone is turned on. I see that the previous poster mentioned *228 in the instructions. While it's clear it's meant for the 4 and 4s phones, *228 likely will kill the sim card, it's a glitch that sim cards on VZW have. IF you don't have an alternative line to call into tech support, you'd need to go to a Verizon store to hook the phone up.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
TeamPararescue, I want to make sure that we are able to get your new iPhone up and running as quick as we can. So we can go over the specifics, I have sent you a Direct Message please respond to that message. Looking forward to working with you.

KevinR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
TeamPararescue

Thanks for the tips all - I got it figured out. The problem was (is) that where I live there's no nearby verizon cell tower so I'm using another carriers tower to get a signal but that doesn't work when you're trying to activate a phone. The solution was to drive into town and let the phone connect with a verizon tower to activate. Goofy solution but I was going into town anyway so it all worked out!

0 Likes