LTE Issues
lttlstvn

Hi,

My iPhone 5 is exhibiting odd behavior with LTE.

Firstly, the signal is extremely weak. I am in NYC. In my office where I have 4-5 bars of 3G, I have barely 1 bar of LTE. My office has a huge window and is not obstructed by other buildings. The building is glass. It's also odd because not only is the signal weak, but after resetting network settings the signal will be 5 bars on LTE and gradually decrease to 1. When moving through areas where I had no service (say, the elevator) and then entering my office, my phone will quickly pick up the 3G signal, but then take several MINUTES to realize there's LTE available. This also doesn't happen just in my office - it happens on the street as well. Walking out of the elevator onto the street, 3G service picks up quickly. It takes the phone a few minutes to realize LTE is available and get a signal. Yet if I toggle airplane mode on and off the phone will pick up the LTE signal immediately.

Secondly, it seems like the phone is "shutting off" LTE when the phone is inactive. This is affecting me in numerous ways, including iMessage. When not actively using the phone there will be gaps in my messages, and a bunch of them will come through as texts, meaning the phone on the other end didn't think my phone was available for iMessage even though I have service. Yet when I reply and am actively messaging/using the phone, all messages are iMessages, not text, because the data connection is active again.

(Note: these issues are not the same as the lag that people were experiencing)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: LTE Issues
odev

My iPhone5 is also showing no LTE signal as of today - downtown Manhattan - 80 Broad st. building. 3G indicator instead.

0 Likes
No1x

I am having this exact same issue, except I live in Louisiana.  My iPad has great LTE signal yet my iPhone's LTE will go away and not come back unless I switch to Airplane mode and back or reboot the phone.  The LTE generally goes away if I leave the phone inactive for a few minutes.

0 Likes
odev

Verizon is reading Voice over LTE?

0 Likes
No1x

How do you tell what service Voice is using?

0 Likes
odev

It's using CDMA 1x currently. iPhone is only capable of voice on the old network. Well, until VoLTE is ready and software update is pushed to the devices.

I wish I could sign up to be a beta tested for VoLTE....

0 Likes
cchaos23

I'm having exact issue as well.  I'm in Alexandria, LA and LTE is in and out all day throughout the area that according to the LTE map, I should have coverage.  3g is 4-5 bars but LTE will drop from 5 to 1 and it takes some time to get there.  I'm hoping this is a software issue.

0 Likes
No1x

I don't think I want to use VoLTE if my LTE radio randomly turns off and doesn't come back on.

0 Likes
odev

I'm pretty sure it's a temp issue, might be weather-related too *trollface*

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

It may just be a network issue. I don't have the issue in my area (GA) but I don't know if anyone else is. Have you reported the issue to VZW just in case it is a network issue?

0 Likes