Massive data usage spike one day after disabling cellular data?
JeanTv

I bought a 5g router yesterday to use wifi at home, and so I disabled cellular on my phone. Prior to disabling, my usage was roughly 10%, today - after data has been disabled for almost 24 hours, my data usage is at 41%. I made sure all the apps are disabled from using data, too.

I'm upset because I changed my plan for the next billing period to 500mb/month vs my current 2gb/month to save some money. Now I'm extremely worried about being charged for nonexistent data usage.

What can I do?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Massive data usage spike one day after disabling cellular data?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Jean

Let's look into this together! Data reporting can be delayed and can take up to 48 hours prior to showing. Has there been any usage since? Have you turned off auto Video on Facebook?

Here's how to check the app usage
  • From the home screen, tap Settings.
  • Tap Cellular.
  • View the overall cellular data usage.
  • Current Period
  • Current Period Roaming
  • View the individual apps cellular data usage.
The app cellular data usage is displayed beneath the name of the app (e.g. App Store 32.7 MB).

JoeL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Miller3150
Enthusiast - Level 3

Can someone please help me from Verizon?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Miller3150,
Help is here! Please share any unresolved concerns so I may further assist. Thank you.

TominqueBo_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Miller3150
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello,

Thank you for responding.

My husband and I have been with Verizion for Internet (Jet Pack) for the past 5 months. Our total monthly data has been around 20GB for all lines.

This month we are going over 50GB!

We have spoken to numerous Verizion reps via phone, chat and read community threads.

We do not stream anything: no movies, no music; nor do we have any devices connected to the jet pack in the background. We do not leave a comuter on at night or ever. The Jet Pack has a password that only my husband and me know.

We are desperate for assistance.

Kim and Paul

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

When you say password only you and your husband know, are you referring to a configuration password or one associated with the hotspot / SSID? Still if the latter, depending on device, there might be an "open" SSID for guests. Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Jetpack devices but WiFi routers have the ability to support guests, unless you disable that.

So... is it possible you live in close proximity to someone else that is consuming your bandwidth that you may be making available without knowing it? Is there an open SSID? You could download something like WiFi Analyzer (Android) to determine if there is an "open" hotspot for others to connect to. If you have an Apple device, there must be a free app from the market that lets you survey surrounding WiFi hotspots.

Good luck.

0 Likes
Miller3150
Enthusiast - Level 3

The Jet Pack WiFi Password.

0 Likes
centabos
Enthusiast - Level 1

I too have been going thru this issue.  Didn't have a problem in the first few months with Verizon service in fact I was quite pleased with the service as I had a prior problem when my screen started popping out and they replaced my phone without hassle or expense.  Then it started....I paid for 2 months of overages believing, as I was told by customer service, that it was my daughter using it. Although I couldn't fathom after 8 years with a different service we had never gone over with 2g between 3 of us how we could go through 5 between 2 of us? And we use our home WiFi and she's always connected at school on WiFi so how could she even be using the data?  But after completely going thru both our galaxy S4's and several argumentative discussions with my daughter. I was positive it wasn't our phones so it must have been her usage.  Although she argued otherwise.  So then on the third month of this I started getting overage alerts stating we had reached our limit and to avoid overage charges I could get 2 more g's for only $10 more a month. By replying"Yes".   Considering $10 vs overage charge I txt back "Yes" and we didn't go over.  Then on the following month here we go again.   Was receiving alert mssg from Verizon I could get 10g's to avoid overage charges. Again I agreed and replied "Yes" and again we did not go over.  On the following month I started receiving the alert txt and this time I could purchase the "Family Base" in which I could monitor usage and set limits on amount of data usage.  Since this time we have not had any overages as I set my daughter up with 3 of the 10 g's and used the other 2 as incentive to help around the house and to show me she could be more responsible with her usage.  I wish I could rewind time now because in the last 3 months her phone has gotten worse as it hits 3g's in less than 2 days.  The problem im having with that is 2 of the last three months I have had her phone with the battery completely removed. Prior to our month end and haven't put it back in until I receive the alert that she has reached her usage limit.   So can someone explain this to me?  I have a problem with the fact that I doubted my daughter and the time and money I've spent to have expert people look at it even going to different towns to have it looked at. Not to mention the money in overages and the monthly increases I'm still paying.    It's not her phone, her apps, or her usage.  There is something happening somewhere and it's not being addressed properly.  I do not know anything about how it all works and if it's possible that somehow the signal or something gets stuck bounces repeatedly into the tower racking up usage charges when in fact it was just the one signal that got stuck and couldn't or didn't move on properly?   I'm reaching here but there has to be an answer with it happening to so many people.  I'm not trying to blame anyone for this as I've done that enough to my daughter I would just like to get it straightened out so I can get the service I am paying for and because my daughter needs her full service when she's not around WiFi.   Is there someone somewhere in the FCC or Verizon company that can do something about this?  Investigate it at least?   Thank you for allowing me to voice my opinion and my concern and if anyone finds the solution or even a reasonable answer (hopefully better than mine lol) them please let me know via community post since email addresses aren't allowed.

Tonja1986
Enthusiast - Level 1

OMG!! Ive been having the same problem!!! I just got the new iPhone 6 and thought maybe I was doing something wrong!! I've never been anywhere close to using my 2G of data in the past 4 years I had my 4s. Now in the past few months I've had to up my data to 5Gs. I've completly turned off my cellular data, and it's still being used. In one day I had the message saying I was about to go over and to add another G reply yes. So I did and within less then 5 minutes I got another message saying I had used all of that gig and needed more to not reach overage charges!!

What is going on?!?!

notfondofverizon
Enthusiast - Level 2

When I switched to the s5, I also switched to a 2gb plan from an unlimited data plan. My usage went from 1gb/mo to 3gb the 1st month. When I complained and wasted 6 hrs of my time to prove what was obvious after 17 years with Verizon/airtouch, they sent me a refurbished phone which promptly took 5gb in 4 days to restore content via Google. Nothing changed. I still have Verizon WiFi at home and WiFi at school 4 miles away. Verizon claims nothing changed on their end but something is either wrong with the phone or wrong with the service. I now use 10gb/mo and Verizon cloud is the only new thing I have. It is the most user unfriendly storage product I've used. I can't delete items which is why I joined this forum and still am unable to delete content. Maybe the newer phones use more data? Maybe the switch between networks feature, ironically named "smart network switch", is the dumbest idea ever? I don't know what the problem is but there is definitely a problem when someone goes from 1gb/mo for 3 years to 10gb/mo at the exact time they are forced to switch from an unlimited data plan to a crappy more expensive plan with limited data.

0 Likes