New I5 will not stay connected to the home wifi network
southernpride1865

I just upgraded to this new I5, and it will not stay connected to the home wifi network. It can be connected and working just fine, and then all of a sudden, it is using data like crazy and there is no warning when it switches over. There are no network issues on my end, all of my other devices (Galaxy tab, Blackberry Z-10, various laptops, etc.) will connect and stay connected just fine. Distance is not a factor, as the I5 can be in the same room as the router and still drop the signal. Network traffic is not a factor, as this will happen when there is no traffic, moderate traffic, or heavy traffic. I have set the switch which will not allow the device to connect/use data when it is not on the wifi network, but this is a workaround at best and is not a viable long term solution. And the VPN is not connected.

Any ideas?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: New I5 will not stay connected to the home wifi network
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi southernpride1865,

Let's see what's causing the problem! Thanks for the details. Please advise, do you have issues connecting your device to other wi-fi connections or only your home connection? I look forward to hearing from you soon

Thanks for contribution to our community forums,

AyaniB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @ VZWSupport

0 Likes
New I5 will not stay connected to the home wifi network
southernpride1865

unknown, as I have never used outside wifi connections. I will check this at the local free wifi place and see what happens and then update with new intel.

0 Likes
southernpride1865

OK, I have checked connections at local fast food place, grocery store, and one other business which offers free wifi, and it drops at all of them, but nowhere near as badly as it does at my home network. Also, I am running WPA-WPA2 personal

0 Likes
MN_VerizonUser

I'm having this same exact problem.  My husband's iPhone 5, our iPads (1, 2, and 3), and my old iPhone 4 do not have this problem.  I have the worst problems at home but my office network drops very often as well.  I see a lot of posts on the Apple forums about this same problem and I haven't found a resolution, yet.

0 Likes
misccraig

I'm having the same problem. Got a new iphone 5 at the same time as my daughter. We can sit next to each other in the same room, and she will be on wifi, and mine will not connect. Toggling the wifi and turning off the phone do not help.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MN_VerizonUser, wow! This is a coincidence! Do you have multiple devices connected to WiFi when your husband attempts to connect at home? Multiple devices can connect simultaneously to your WiFi device at the same time. However, this will weaken the signal. Additionally, please be advised that the connection can go dormant when there is no usage or when the screen locks on his device. Here's the steps to enable the WiFi feature on his device when this happens: http://vz.to/14jIb4a

Lasina_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
True_Prairie_Enthusia

Almost identical problem. Received iPhone 5 a month ago, just before going abroad. WiFi worked fine in Iceland. Back home in U.S. my laptop connects fine with household and other WiFi's, as always. As possible answer I restarted home system. Laptop still connects fine. I5 still does not. I will patiently wait for answer.

Smiley Happy

Thanks

0 Likes
True_Prairie_Enthusia

Addition to post I made about 15 minutes ago.

Went to settings. Followed suggestion of AyaniB_VZW by following http://vz.to/14jIb4a link. Checked "Off" for WifFi, Cellular, Cellular Date and Roaming. Turned I5 off and on. Still, when I try to connect to household WiFi I received "Unanble to join the network "name of my WiFi"  Will try again.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That's strange misccraig, but we want to get to the bottom of this issue. Does this happen at multiple wifi connections for you as well? Have you tried deleting the connection and connecting again? If no change, please reset your Network Settings and reboot http://bit.ly/OPvlTq your phone.

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes