New to Verizon, new ph#, can't send or receive texts with one person (non-verizon)
srcskier

Two weeks ago I was added to an existing family plan. I kept the new ph# provided (as I was having difficulties finding the acct number for my pre-paid plan with t-mobile). I now have an iphone. I have successfully been able to send and receive text with both iphone and non iphone users. However, one person in particular I can't seem to send SMS texts to or receive them. I can successfully send MMS text and make calls to this person though. This person is on Sprint and is not having issues texting any other Verizon contacts. I had no issues sending or receiving text with this person prior to switching to Verizon.

We have both deleted and re-added each other as contacts.

We have both powered off and re-started our phones.

I have set my phone back to network settings.

Neither of us use a third party text app.

I even went into a verizon wireless store today to try to get help trouble shooting and they were no help. They looked at me like they hadn't heard of this happening, however there seem to be MANY people on the forums having the same or very similar problems.

Any help or ideas I haven't already read on other treads?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: New to Verizon, new ph#, can't send or receive texts with one person (non-verizon)
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

srcskier,

That's a great question! It's not in every iPhone-Android situation. This can happen if the Android (Galaxy) users previously had an iPhone. They need to access the iPhone, go to Settings>Messages>turn off iMessages. This is only if the Galaxy users had messages, it means their numbers are still registered with iMessages (messaging system on iPhones). If they no longer have access to their old iPhones, they can log into this http://bit.ly/1dpc7JS with their Apple ID and unregister their old devices. It can take 24-48 hrs to complete.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: New to Verizon, new ph#, can't send or receive texts with one person (non-verizon)
srcskier

Just read another post about iphone and galaxy lll having issues texting each other. I have an iphone and the other person has a galaxy. why does this happen? how is this fixed?

0 Likes
Not applicable

Is the person with Sprint using an iphone?

If so, have them turn off I-Messaging.

Should fix it.

0 Likes
srcskier

The person with Sprint has a Galaxy (neither of us can text each other), I am also having problems texting a person on Verizon that has a Galaxy (they are getting mine, but I am not getting theirs)

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry you're experiencing this unusual issue with sending texts to one particular phone srcskier. Has the other person tried contacting their provider? With your iPhone, please go to Settings>Messages>Send as SMS- ON. Let's see if that helps. Also, which iPhone do you have? Please keep us posted.

Thank you,
VanessaS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
srcskier

I have the iphone 5c. Nothing has helped thus far. Going to try talking to people at the apple store today to see if this is a common issue with iphones in particular.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

srcskier,

That's a great question! It's not in every iPhone-Android situation. This can happen if the Android (Galaxy) users previously had an iPhone. They need to access the iPhone, go to Settings>Messages>turn off iMessages. This is only if the Galaxy users had messages, it means their numbers are still registered with iMessages (messaging system on iPhones). If they no longer have access to their old iPhones, they can log into this http://bit.ly/1dpc7JS with their Apple ID and unregister their old devices. It can take 24-48 hrs to complete.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the additional information srcskier!  Please keep me posted with what results from your Apple store visit.  Thanks again!

AnthonyTa_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Teach68

Had similar issue...no problem texting with other iPhones but no luck with other types.  Went to Apple Store, no luck, they sent me next door to the Verizon store (that was convenient) and they found that the new plan had text messages blocked.  With iMessage no issue but otherwise texts were blocked.  Removed block...problem solved.

0 Likes