Questions that need answers
vdurant28

Hi, I am planning on switching from AT&T to Verizon but I am on someone else's plan . I want to be able to keep my number . Can I do that when I buy the phone now online or do I have to do it in store ? Also if I pre order the iPhone 6s Plus will I have to wait for my service to start or can I switch over my current phone and use it with Verizon until my new device comes in ?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Questions that need answers
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You’ve made a great decision in choosing Verizon as your wireless carrier, vdurant28.  We want this transition to go smoothly for you and the current person whose plan you are now under. To keep the number, the name on the AT&T account will need to match the name on the new Verizon account.  I know here at Verizon to do this we process an Assumption of Liability or a name change. AT&T should have a similar procedure.  Once AT&T has set you up with your own account and original number, then it’ll be a matter of contacting Verizon Wireless to port the phone number over to us.
Now you can order the iPhone with a temporary number to be used until the port goes through.  It’s just that the downside of this will be that you’ll be paying for two lines, the temporary Verizon number and your original AT&T number waiting to be ported. There are a few devices that are compatible with both Verizon and AT&T, and to answer that last question we need to know what you currently are using.

DavidH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Questions that need answers
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You’ve made a great decision in choosing Verizon as your wireless carrier, vdurant28.  We want this transition to go smoothly for you and the current person whose plan you are now under. To keep the number, the name on the AT&T account will need to match the name on the new Verizon account.  I know here at Verizon to do this we process an Assumption of Liability or a name change. AT&T should have a similar procedure.  Once AT&T has set you up with your own account and original number, then it’ll be a matter of contacting Verizon Wireless to port the phone number over to us.
Now you can order the iPhone with a temporary number to be used until the port goes through.  It’s just that the downside of this will be that you’ll be paying for two lines, the temporary Verizon number and your original AT&T number waiting to be ported. There are a few devices that are compatible with both Verizon and AT&T, and to answer that last question we need to know what you currently are using.

DavidH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes