Re: Accessive data usage on iPhone 5??!
zinky
Enthusiast - Level 2

I too am having issues with Data Usage on my iPhone5.  It started this summer. In the past I have never used more than 1G of my 2G plan.  Now every month I am using 75% of my data.  I even have a Verizon hotspot card that also used more data then ever.  I thought it was because I was in the northern part of the state where service is not the best. However even in the city I am using way more data than ever!.  I have checked all my settings, which are the same as before and it does not change my data usage.  Also there is no settings on the Verizon card I can change.  I do not watch videos or play music.  I don't understand why in the last 8 months this has been an issue.  When I called Verizon this summer they just told me I needed a new plan.  That was NOT the answer.  Something is going on and it needs to be fixed.  I am a long time Verizon customer.  Their coverage area is great for where I travel, but I can not afford the data!!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

zinky, we definitely want this to be affordable for you. Have you downloaded applications to your iPhone? Some applications may continue to run when you're not using them. We recommend that you disable data in Settings>Cellular>Scroll down to applications>Disable Data. This will allow your device to connect to data when Wi-Fi is available.

Did you have a chance to review the your data usage details online at My Verizon? http://bit.ly/xB4iTc

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
mariabgood

We are also having this problem with our iPhone5 - massive amounts of cellular data being transferred at times when the phone is not being used and we are also on our wireless network. So now we have gone over our data usage, which has NEVER happened in years, and customer support was unable to help me, and claimed that there is no way to check for malware on the phone

0 Likes
Eadur
Contributor - Level 3

1. This was the same issue I had with my wife's iPhone 5c 8GB. And what I learned was that by design, iPhones do turn off WiFi when they go dormant. So if a download is in progress, or information is being back up wirelessly, and the phone goes dormant, it will switch to use cellular data if it is left on.

2. Later onward, I learned from several different sources, that if you keep your iPhone connected to a power source, then it will not go dormant on you. In which case, the iPhone will stay connected to your WiFi source. And this has been proven to be the case with my wife's phone. Moreover, this is why I purchase a 9 foot power cable for her phone. ....

3. Pushing the issue of malware on her phone was a dead end. I tried doing so with both Verizon & Apple. And I never got any results from either one. .....

0 Likes