Struggling a little with my iPhone 4S - advice, information and direction appreciated
GailD

Guess I use my phone differently than my (grown) kids, and I'm finding some of the features I had on my Droid I'm not finding a way to do on the iPhone. I know they are different phones, but I'm can't seem to find any information when looking for answers to things such as:

• Can I set different notification Tones for different mail accounts or am I stuck with just one tone (of my choosing)?
  • Can I set different ring tones for different callers?
  • Is there an app that will help me manage my sounds, so that I don't have to keep going into settings and turning off specific notifications if I only want "ring only" (I was using "QuickProfiles" on my Droid)?
  • Is there a good site for getting details, reviews & recommendations on apps that are available for an iPhone 4S?
  • Is there an app that will monitor and turn off some of the items on the iPhone that like to run in the background without me having to double click the home button and manual select things all the time to save the battery?

Nothing I can do about missing my slide-out keyboard...I could type MUCH faster with it...but I'll just have to get over that one, but am thrilled with my Otterbox (Commuter style). I have contacts that didn't make the transfer over from the Droid to the iPhone despite all my best efforts...will need to sit down and and enter quite a few manually!

I guess what I really need is a good website for former Droid users to help make the transition easier and teach us stuff we learned to do a different way!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Struggling a little with my iPhone 4S - advice, information and direction appreciated
bikejackass

look in 'Settings'..., 'Sounds' to set up sounds, then on each contact to set cutom sounds there. Don't know if you can assign mail account sounds, never tried.

You can buy many good ringtone editors for 99c to make custom tones from iTunes. eg 'RingtoneDJ'...,''Ringtones'. There is a max lenth of 30 seconds.

Go to 'The iPhone Blog' (TiPb) sign up for their daily email, their are many such sites and forums but I like their site best. Also 'The Unofficial Apple Weblog.

Wellcome back from 'the dark side' !!!!!

Settings is really easy to use but I don't alter sound much so don't know if there's an app..., but probably is.

The apps running in background on the iPhone themselves do not use up much power, the power use is down to how many apps have notifications turned on. For about $50 you can get a good quality plug in battery back up (New Trent ifuel IMP500 $40)

The best cases IMHO are Otterbox for protection (good prices on ebay and Amazon) and for ultimate protection w3.lifeproof.com. which are waterproof..., I also use a 'commuter', excellent. You can get good quality 'dock extenders' for $20 if you need one.

For screenprotection MediaDevil Magicscreen screen protector: Crystal Clear (Invisible) edition.

Apple have many video tutorials available but iPhone is quite intuitive things usually work the way you guess they should.

The big advantage with iPhone over Droid is the 'app store' ...., google dont make any money on their app store so do nothing to stop people putting bad apps and possibly even virus apps in there..., apple won't risk that happening as they make a lot of money there.

In settings you can also set up 'iTunes Wi-Fi Sync' over your home Wi-Fi.

In 'Reminders' you can set up a reminder to 'go off' when you arrive or leave a certain location which uses the onboard gps system.

0 Likes
Re: Struggling a little with my iPhone 4S - advice, information and direction appreciated
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

GailD wrote:

Guess I use my phone differently than my (grown) kids, and I'm finding some of the features I had on my Droid I'm not finding a way to do on the iPhone. I know they are different phones, but I'm can't seem to find any information when looking for answers to things such as:

• Can I set different notification Tones for different mail accounts or am I stuck with just one tone (of my choosing)?For now, you are stuck with one tone of your choosing. Before iOS 5 yiou didn't have the option of choosing your tone at all for mail (at least I don't think so...how quickly we forget how iOS 4 worked lol) so consider that a plus.
  • Can I set different ring tones for different callers? Yes, you can. As mentioned just go to each contact you want to set a different tone for and edit the ringtone listed...it should initially say "default" for the sound on that contact...which would be whatever tone you have set for all callers via the sounds setting.
  • Is there an app that will help me manage my sounds, so that I don't have to keep going into settings and turning off specific notifications if I only want "ring only" (I was using "QuickProfiles" on my Droid)? Use the search function in the App store to see if you can find something that meets your needs (if someone isn't able to suggest one for you on here) or try an internet search to see if any suggestions come up.
  • Is there a good site for getting details, reviews & recommendations on apps that are available for an iPhone 4S? There are many sites out there that rate and review apps...not sure how "good" they are but you can do a search and determine which one bests meets your needs...again, if someone on here isn't able to suggest one.
  • Is there an app that will monitor and turn off some of the items on the iPhone that like to run in the background without me having to double click the home button and manual select things all the time to save the battery? Some argue that very few apps truly run in the background unless you have certain settings on that would allow so...as far as finding an app that will do so...same suggestion as above.

Nothing I can do about missing my slide-out keyboard...I could type MUCH faster with it...but I'll just have to get over that one, but am thrilled with my Otterbox (Commuter style). I have contacts that didn't make the transfer over from the Droid to the iPhone despite all my best efforts...will need to sit down and and enter quite a few manually!

I guess what I really need is a good website for former Droid users to help make the transition easier and teach us stuff we learned to do a different way! I haven't seen an actual website that really helps make the transition...really just keep seeing sites that argue the pros and cons of both devices, but don't offer any real transition help other than giving the advice on how to transfer contacts and other stuff meant for the initial setup. There may be something out there that would help...just might take some time to find it. If you're ever interested in helping the next person that may be in your shoes you could always consider creating a site that does just that lol. Also, I don't know if the site is still like it used to be when I needed help transitioning to the BB years ago but if it is then the forums at howardforums.com were great at helping me understand my devices (I used it prior to my BB's also for other devices I used). Might be worth checking out.

0 Likes