Swapping SIM Cards
trevm7

Hello-

I'm aware this question has been asked but I am getting conflicting information. I currently have an iPhone 6 on a verizon plan. If I buy an iPhone XR UNLOCKED through Apple, am I able to simply take the SIM card from my 6 and put it into the XR? Would everything still work the same? 

Thank you in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Swapping SIM Cards
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes and yes. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Weth
Legend

This is really a straightforward yes, as Ann has said.  I have done this many times, including just a month  ago.  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi, Trevm7! Congratulations on the prospective new device! The iPhone 6 and XR do use the exact same SIM card as advised by Weth and Ann154. Here is a handy site to confirm: http://spr.ly/6600EhMgu You can also check to ensure the device will work on the Verizon Wireless network by clicking here: http://spr.ly/6601EhMgR Does this help to confirm?

ChrisM_VZW

0 Likes
Tiff7

Hi! I have a similar issue. I have an iPhone SE and am currently on Verizon Prepaid. I just bought a brand new iPhone 8 Plus and want to switch over to that one. I put in my SIM from my old phone into the iPhone 8 Plus and it said that it was not compatible with this carrier. It's weird because I chatted with Verizon Prepaid, they checked IMEI, and said the phone was compatible. I just don't know what to do! Do you recommend me to go into a Verizon store help? 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That's a great question, Tiff7. The SIM card for a Verizon Wireless compatible iPhone SE and a Verizon Wireless compatible iPhone 8 Plus are the same. While there could be an issue with the SIM itself, you will want to check the Device ID (IMEI) of the iPhone 8 at vzw.com/byod to ensure that the device is eligible to be activated on the network. This check runs across a number of things, such as whether the device is locked by another carrier or listed as lost or stolen. Is this information useful? PeterP_VZW

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

@Tiff7 wrote:

Hi! I have a similar issue. I have an iPhone SE and am currently on Verizon Prepaid. I just bought a brand new iPhone 8 Plus and want to switch over to that one. I put in my SIM from my old phone into the iPhone 8 Plus and it said that it was not compatible with this carrier. It's weird because I chatted with Verizon Prepaid, they checked IMEI, and said the phone was compatible. I just don't know what to do! Do you recommend me to go into a Verizon store help? 

Which version of the iPhone 8 Plus did you purchase? Did you purchase it from Apple or Verizon. Did you specifically purchase a prepaid deivce or postpaid or do you know. If you purchased a carrier branded version of the device, it is likely the phone is locked to that service for a period of 60 days to help prevent fraud. If you purchased the unlocked version of the device, it should be unlocked at the point of purchase and you should be able to use your SIM card in the device.

For example, even if your purchased the Verizon version of the iPhone 8 Plus that device would be locked to Verizon Postpaid for a period of 60 days and you should be able to use it on Verizon Prepaid after that period of time.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/device-locking-faqs/

0 Likes