Update Roaming Capabilities
cackyb

I have used Verizon for a number of years with different cell phones.  I have always used the number *228 to update roaming capabilities, and have done this once a month regularly.  I received an iPhone 5c for Christmas and tried to update roaming capabilities today, and was told the number *228 is "not allowed". Can anyone tell me what number should be used or is the phone updated automatically?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Update Roaming Capabilities
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You don't update the Preferred Roaming List on 4G phones by dialing *228, it's handled automatically by your SIM card.  Turn the phone off, wait a few seconds, then turn the phone back on and allow it to re-establish a network connection.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

cackyb,

Great choice of a new device! You are correct where the device will update automatically throughout the month. Another way to help push the update is simply powering your device off and keeping it off for about 5 minutes. Lastly, you can dial *22899. That will inform you that your device is connected to our network. Let us know if you have any further questions. Safe travels and thanks for being the best part of Verizon!

-PeterV_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
cackyb

Many thanks. That's extremely helpful.

Cacky Barns

0 Likes
larkus

Hi,

Just received my 5c, and the signal is only at 2 when it's normally at 5 exactly where I'm sitting on this cloudless, moderately temperate day. I tried using the same code discussed above, was thrilled to see the post about *22899, and then disappointed to receive exactly the same "This number is not allowed" message. If this coverage continues, I'm going to have to move to a different phone.

Any other suggestions?

0 Likes
Not applicable

You do not dial *whatever on a 4G smartphone. Do as was suggested turn off the phone wait a minute turn it back on.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

larkus,

Oh no, let's get you the service you deserve. What is your zip code? Is your iPhone 5c up to date? As your iPhone 5c is a 4G LTE device updating your roaming capabilities by dialing *22899 does not work. You can try to reset your network settings to see if it helps with your signal. Please go to settings>general>reset>reset network settings. You can also try removing the SIM Card and power back on. Please let us know if this helps.

KarenC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
kfhezeau

I am so disappointed with Verizon Customer Service I am about to tell them where they can put this phone I got and my bill cause I am not paying it until I get satifaction in my matter cause I keep getting the same response every time I call them and I am sick in tired of the (removed) CS I am getting and they suppose to please every customer but they are not willing to budge an ounce n for a billion dollar company the can't give to $100 n that's like a grain of sand on a Florida beach but they will not budge and I was suppsed to get for my phone and I was mis informed on where to send my phone so than can take this phone n bill n(removed) cause I am through with VZW they can kiss my (removed) n they better find some way to please me or I'm gone. So Verizon what will it be for me to go to another carrier or stay with VZW (removed)

Comment edited as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

kfhezeau, there's no need for you to switch to another wireless carrier. We're going to make this right for you. A review of your account indicates that we're already working on this for you and a follow up has been created to reach out to you once it is resolved.

Lasina_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We don't want to lose you with our family kfhezeau. I'm familiar with the issue concerning your device and understand your frustration. Once the investigation is completed we will do all we can to help redirect your device to the appropriate departement. I'm truly sorry about your entire experience and hope we can mend this relationship with you.

KinquanaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes