Upgrade question for iPhone 5 on Dumb Phone line
ineoxs
Enthusiast - Level 2

My current situation is (I am the authorized owner for all these 5 lines):

Line 1 - smart phone with unlimited data -> eligible for upgrade

Line 2 - smart phone with unlimited data -> eligible for upgrade

Line 3 - dumb phones -> not eligible for upgrade (out-of-state with relatives)

Line 4 - dumb phones -> not eligible for upgrade (out-of-state with relatives)

Line 5 - dumb phones -> not eligible for upgrade (out-of-state with relatives)

I was wondering if the following scenario is possible:

1. Transfer Line 1 upgrade to Line 3

2. Order iPhone 5 with Line 3 by adding 2GB data

3. Activate the iPhone 5 upon arrival on Line 1 via online VZ account or phone with CSR (since I don't have access to Line 3 physically)

4. Remove 2GB data from line 3 (is this even needed since I am not activating iPhone 5 on Line 3. Theoretically, data should not be added to Line 3 as it's still a dumb phone)

5. Contract is renewed on Line 3 for 2 yrs

6. I keep my unlimited data on Line 1

Anyone had success with this scenario? If it's possible then I can repeat it with Line 2 and Line 5.

I got conflicting responses. Some folks are saying the dumb phone also needs to have an upgrade available.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Upgrade question for iPhone 5 on Dumb Phone line
mrpearsoy
Contributor - Level 3

ineoxs wrote:

My current situation is:

3. Activate the iPhone 5 upon arrival on Line 1 via online VZ account or phone with CSR (since I don't have access to Line 3 physically)

4. Remove 2GB data from line 3 (is this even needed since I am not activating iPhone 5 on Line 3. Theoretically, data should not be added to Line 3 as it's still a dumb phone)

Anyone had success with this scenario? If it's possible then I can repeat it with Line 2 and Line 5.

I got conflicting responses. Some folks are saying the dumb phone also needs to have an upgrade available.

You are PARTIALLY correct. If you do a alternate upgrade, it is going to extend the contract on line one, not line 3. you will have to activate the phone first on line 3 in order not to be charged back the full retail cost of the new device. You can move the phone to line 1, but I would not be surprised if the system catches this and makes you choose a tiered data plan given the fact that line 1 has a new contract. The only way you will TRULY know, is by doing it. Speculation can be unreliable. The things people try to do to get around new policies.....

View solution in original post

0 Likes
mrpearsoy
Contributor - Level 3

ineoxs wrote:

My current situation is:

You are PARTIALLY correct. If you do a alternate upgrade, it is going to extend the contract on line one, not line 3. you will have to activate the phone first on line 3 in order not to be charged back the full retail cost of the new device. You can move the phone to line 1, but I would not be surprised if the system catches this and makes you choose a tiered data plan given the fact that line 1 has a new contract. The only way you will TRULY know, is by doing it. Speculation can be unreliable. The things people try to do to get around new policies.....

0 Likes
ineoxs
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks. Problem is I don't have access to Line 3 as it's with my relative. I know I can activate everything over the phone/online and put the old dumb phone back on the line but it's just a hassle asking the relative not to use the phone for certain period of time.

0 Likes