VPN issue while using hotspot (iPhone6)
lebriskey

I have a user who told me today that he has not been able to gain VPN access while using the personal hotspot feature.   He says this has been going on for a month.   Does anyone know what is up with that?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: VPN issue while using hotspot (iPhone6)
Weth
Legend

This sounds like an John_Getzke​ problem. We'll see if he jumps in as he is not usually in the iPhone forums.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

We would need more information to confirm exactly what is going on with your hotspot feature.  At a minimum we need to know  what kind of error message is the VPN client returning when you attempt to connect.

Each VPN connection and client is going to be different.  Yet the parts that they all share is accessing DNS to lookup the IP of the VPN server you are connecting to.  DNS problems are common with VPN clients on any kind of internet connection.  In most cases you simply have to wait for your DNS resource to refresh itself.  In other cases, such as a 1 month outage, you may want to manually configure your DNS to something that you know works, like Google DNS at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

We know that VPNs can work on the VZW network when properly configured.  It is one of the oldest work arounds that we have to VZWs NAT firewall configuration that blocks your VZW devices from receiving a true public IP address.

I suggest you work with your VPN administrator on this one.  That may be a corporate employee or a 3rd party VPN service that you are hiring for personal business.  Let them know the error message and see if they have any information for you on what they can do about it.

0 Likes
JP6530

I am also unable to access my company's VPN using the hot spot on my iPhone 5. I started having the problem until a few months ago. Prior to that, I could access VPN.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Contact your VPN administrators.  If the device worked before and it operates to other websites without the VPN then it is likely not a problem with VZW or the VZW device. 

Other suggestions for you would be general VPN troubleshooting tips such as altering your DNS (to one such as those offered by google) or trying to connect to the VPN server via IP Address instead of Hostname.

0 Likes
trex2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same problem.  I can VPN from my laptop to virtually any WIFI network except my Verizon iphone for the past week.  It used to work fine.  I;ve reset my network connections and change the DNS as you described.  I can contact our administrator but likely they are not any help in debugging something isolated to my iPhone.

0 Likes
Ktown0290

Having the same problem since octoberish. Did you find any fix?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We noticed your post and we want to help, Ktown0290. You mention that you have the same problem and while we are able to review the previous messages, we must ensure that we address your specific concerns. What specific service issues can we address for you (https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/troubleshooting/)?

AntonioC_VZW

0 Likes
briscoetl
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am a network engineer and admin of my company's VPN.  We have many numerous users that are having issue connecting to our VPN who are using Verizon as their ISP.  The problem for us is that while Verizon's network is allowing IPSEC traffic, some of the routers, cellular devices, and jetpacks are blocking UPD 500 and 4500 traffic.   

I myself have confirm this as I can connect over my 3G mifi, but not over my 4g jetpack or Note 9 hotspot, however, my 4G worked until an update back in April. 

I know 100% this is the issue as I've tested the same connection with the VPN set to connect via SSL and it works fine, however, SSL is not yet approved or our connection. 

The behavior seen is that when a user initiates the VPN connection they are asked for the token pin or username and password, and then the system is scanned to verify its creditials, which all happens via SSL/TLS (ports 443), and once they are authorized, it brings up the VPN tunnel via IPSEC, and they lose connection with an error messages stating (Lost communications with VPN Gateway).

We've fixed FIOS and other connections by tweaking firewall setting blocking UPD fragmentation, lowering firewall levels, and adding port forwarding for UDP 500/4500, but have not found those or equivalent options for Jetpacks or cell phones.

Regards,

Terrance  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

briscoetl, thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience. We are pleased to read the issue has been resolved for most devices. 

At this time, does the issue seem to be FIOS or cellular-related for the remaining devices? 

DavidC_VZW

0 Likes