Verizon $199 Non-Return iPhone fee
Essence7

Hi all,

I was on a two year contract with Verizon set to expire next September, but today online Verizon let me upgrade to the monthly installment plan when I upgraded my iPhone 6 plus to a 6s.  At the end of the online ordering, it noted that as part of this deal, I would have to send my existing iPhone 6 plus back to Verizon in good working order or I may be charged a $199 non-return fee.

What happens if I don't return my old phone? If I am only charged $199 with no other negative impact on my account, I think I would be a lot better paying the $200 fee, and selling my iPhone 6 plus 128gb. Surely I can make enough from selling that to cover the $200 fee + have some profit, seems silly to just return it to Verizon.

Am I missing something with my thought process?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon $199 Non-Return iPhone fee
Weth
Legend

MiiHere wrote:

Hmm...usually the non return fee is $299. 

FAQ states $199

Device Payment FAQs | Verizon Wireless

If you’re required to send Verizon your current device as part of a recent early device upgrade promotion, you must send the device to Verizon Wireless within 14 days of receiving your new device, or you’ll be charged the early device upgrade non-return fee of $199. The device you send must be in good working condition, and the same one that was on the upgraded line. Learn how to send your device back to Verizon Wireless.

View solution in original post

MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

There is nothing more than the $199 non-return fee. Your logic seems ok.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

MiiHere wrote:

FAQ states $199

Device Payment FAQs | Verizon Wireless

If you’re required to send Verizon your current device as part of a recent early device upgrade promotion, you must send the device to Verizon Wireless within 14 days of receiving your new device, or you’ll be charged the early device upgrade non-return fee of $199. The device you send must be in good working condition, and the same one that was on the upgraded line. Learn how to send your device back to Verizon Wireless.

Snn5
Legend

I think the $299 is a non-returned/damaged phone in a warranty swap.

kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Does anyone know if they would blacklist the non-returned iPhone? If not then yes...you would be better off paying the fee and keeping or selling the Device. Assuming nothing is wrong with it, it is definitely worth more than $199.

Weth
Legend

Good point kaebfly, but I would think as long as fee is paid, the answer is no. However, I have not seen that definitively answered on here, so I do have the same caution you have. It would be nice to get that confirmed before you proceed.

kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

I would think the same thing but it seems a little too good to be true. So it's something I would find out for sure and want to see in writing so I could have it in case they try to say otherwise after the fact before I proceed.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

They wouldn't blacklist it as long as the fee was paid.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

If that's the case it's a win for the customer and a strange loss for Verizon. Unless adding the $199 to what has already been paid comes out to the full cost of the Device then they end up losing out. Interesting if that is the case.

0 Likes