Verizon iPhone 12 Pro Trade-In Scam
rmac4242
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently traded in my iPhone 8 with Verizon when upgrading to the new iPhone 12 Pro.  I was told that I would get $440 towards my trade-in, but received a notification stating that I would only get $50 instead because there was a tiny scratch in the corner of this phone.

I spent hours on the phone yesterday with the most unhelpful, disrespectful support team I've ever dealt with.  They accused me of lying and stated that I should be happy with the $50.  I escalated to the managers twice, and it got worse each time.  They promised to call me back because they left me on hold for so long and I had to join a work call, but they never called back.

I've been a loyal Verizon customer for 13+ years now, and just purchased TWO iPhone 12 Pros with premium plans on multiple lines.  They have effectively stolen $390 from me.  I would never have consented to giving them my iPhone 8 that was in excellent condition for only $50.  I asked them to give it back to me, and they said no.  Had I known that I was going to be treated like this, I never would have committed to spend so much money with them over the next two years.

As someone who has worked in the Customer Success industry for the past decade, I feel embarrassed for Verizon.  The way I've been treated is what you see in the videos of what NOT to do to your customers, especially the ones with a high Customer Lifetime Value.

If anyone out there at Verizon cares to have a chat, please reach out to me.

Labels (1)
Re: Verizon iPhone 12 Pro Trade-In Scam
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Rmac4242, loyalty like yours is a true gem as I am certain that you are aware. These days loyalty is rare and we do value you as a part of the family. We are truly sorry to hear of your experience and would like to gather some information. Was the trade submitted directly through a store location at time of purchase or completed online? When received, while a small scratch would not be an issue, in some cases what appears to be a scratch is an actual crack, during your conversations was this ever revealed to have been a physical crack? LorenB_VZW If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!  

0 Likes
rmac4242
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your reply and the kind words.

The trade-in was done online, not in a physical store.

Please note there wasn't any damage to the phone at all when I shipped it.  I carefully discarded the case and screen protector, and packaged the phone myself.  There were no cracks of any nature when I sent it.

Vbonk
Enthusiast - Level 3

While I am still struggling to put enough hours in with support to get my order shipped, I see your post. 

Thank you. I would not have had second thoughts about trading in a few iPhones for net ones assuming like you that the price they quoted is what they’d honor. And I certainly thought that if there was a mismatch between the condition you indicated and what they think it is once they get it, well that they’d honor to quote or send it back. Nuts

rmac4242
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm glad you found my post helpful.

Unfortunately, the situation is continuing to get worse with Verizon support.  They sent me a private message in this community two weeks ago stating that they were going to contact me directly to address the problem.  I verified my information with them, but I am still waiting for someone to reach out to me.  I've chased them a couple of times and have not had a response.  

It's really disappointing how poorly they treat their long-time customers.  If you are thinking of signing a contract with Verizon, I would be very careful.....

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We know how important it is for your trade in to run smoothly. We did reply to your Private Note, and we asked if you were sent the images of the damage. Did you see our response in the Private Note?

EllisandraC_VZW

0 Likes
rmac4242
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unfortunately the support and efforts for resolution seem to be getting worse.

They told me that they have photo evidence that my trade-in phone has damage, even though there were no problems with it when I shipped it.  Rather than honor the $440 agreed trade-in amount, they first offered me $50, and then moved it to $100, and then sent a "final offer" of $200. I've said that isn't acceptable and to return my phone to me, which they have refused. So now they have my phone and I've received nothing.

I've asked for copies of the photos of the damage, but they won't send them to me.  They told me that I need to go into a store to look at the photos (during a pandemic).  They also told me that I need to file a claim with the shipping company because it must have been damaged in transit. But they won't share the photos with me, so I have no evidence to claim anything against them even if I wanted to. 

I've been a loyal Verizon customer for 13+ year and just added a new line and purchased 2 iPhone 12s.  The way they treat their customers is absolutely shocking.

Deceptive business practices would be a great understatement.