Why can I only get 1x reception?
scmckimmie

I have the iphone 4 and live in the Maryland zip code 20662. I use to have always had at least two-four bars on my phone. For the past few months I continue to have 3 bar signals but instead of 3G my phone is now in 1X. If I try to get on an app (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook) if I'm lucky after several attempts and loading for ten minutes I finally get on. My fiance has the iphone 5 & he has PERFECT service and his apps load with no problem.

I am limited to Verizon or prepaid due to where I live... but if my cell phone service doesn't resolve itself ASAP when my contract is up (Feb. 3rd) I will switch and just go to a prepaid phone that will give me service without all this hassle.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 1x network
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sure you're getting excited for your next phone, lbanks1993. But you shouldn't be experiencing trouble with your current phone while you wait. The iPhone 4 doesn't use satellites for 1X or 3G services, and NY is pretty big. What zipcode are you having trouble in? Is your data service the only thing being effected or do you have trouble with calls or messages too? Try making sure to update your iPhone 4 once a month by dialing *228 and selecting option 2 from a Verizon Wireless service area. It's a great way to keep your phone up to date with our towers. If that doesn't take care of the trouble, the Reset Network Settings that YosefT_VZW is also a great start.

Thank you
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

View solution in original post

lbanks1993
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same problem! I also have the iphone 4 and am becoming irritated with no internet (or super slow). I live in NY and a friend says it could be because of where the satellites are. But I think its because our phones have 3g and everything is now running on 4g. I plan on upgrading to the 5s and am PRAYING the problem is resolved.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I want to ensure you have the best possible service, scmckimmie. Did you notice the issue began to occur after the iOS 7 update was released? I noticed that you mentioned its began in the last couple months. Since the issue began have you reset network settings? Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings ( this will delete saved wi-fi passwords)

Is your fiance' also with Verizon Wireless? I do notice service in the area may be challenging.

YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sure you're getting excited for your next phone, lbanks1993. But you shouldn't be experiencing trouble with your current phone while you wait. The iPhone 4 doesn't use satellites for 1X or 3G services, and NY is pretty big. What zipcode are you having trouble in? Is your data service the only thing being effected or do you have trouble with calls or messages too? Try making sure to update your iPhone 4 once a month by dialing *228 and selecting option 2 from a Verizon Wireless service area. It's a great way to keep your phone up to date with our towers. If that doesn't take care of the trouble, the Reset Network Settings that YosefT_VZW is also a great start.

Thank you
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

lkirby87

I'm also having this problem with my iPhone4.  I live and work in AL zip code 35476.  My internet works fine at home, but is incredibly slow, if it works at all, at my work.  I live less than a mile from work.  My signal is good, but always shows 1x instead of 3g.  It didn't start doing this until I upgraded to iOS7. 

0 Likes
Not applicable

you might have better luck by going to Apple's messageboards. you might see if this is a Verizon issue or happens with other carriers.

0 Likes