Why does my iPhone 4S say it is "waiting for activation?"
mjhinman

Received new iPhone 4S yesterday. Backed up old iPhone 4 and then synced new 4s. I received a message on phone "Waiting for activation. This may take some time."  Been waiting almost 24 hours.  Instructions that came with the phone said it would only take minutes.  What's going on?  I don't have a home line, so I can't call customer support and I can't find any information online.  Very frustrating being without a phone.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: New iPhone 4S "Waiting for activation"
ponyruns
Contributor - Level 3

Perhaps the hang up is in the

Select the Set Up option then select Next.

• Set Up as New iPhone
  • Restore from iCloud Backup
  • Restore from iTunes Backup.

I think you need to skip this option at first then you can restore your new 4S from your last saved iphone 4 setting.

see this link http://support.verizonwireless.com/support/devices/knowledge_base.html/49074/

if this does not help then I am all out of ideas

View solution in original post

0 Likes
ponyruns
Contributor - Level 3

Turn off the phone, power it back on.  Then Dial *228 and select option 1 - Activate this device.

hope this helps

0 Likes
mjhinman

No luck.  It will not make any calls at all.  "No service" or constantly "searching" in the corner.

0 Likes
ponyruns
Contributor - Level 3

That is not cool.  Can you connect to iTunes and do a full reset of the phone.  Then you can start the activation fresh from step one.

0 Likes
mjhinman

Trying this now.  Will let you know if it works.

0 Likes
mjhinman

Reset the phone and started the activation process over.  Turned phone on, followed the set up assistant onscreen instructions, connected to my WiFi, then to iTunes as prompted.  iTunes started the backup/sync process, but message on phone still reads "Waiting for Activation: This may take some time."

0 Likes
ponyruns
Contributor - Level 3

Ok I had a similar issue with one of the iphones on our account and we were able to dial *228 and initiate over the air activation.  is the phone just locked on the screen that says "Waiting for Activation: This may take some time."???  If not then without turning off the phone see if you can dial *228 and initiate over the air activation of the new phone.  Otherwise try logging on to you my verizon account online. Under the My Devices section click the link "activate or switch devices" on the next page you should see your old iphone 4 there and hopefully your new iphone 4s.  Select the new iphone 4s and then click next.....  If that doesn't work then you should swing by your local Verizon dealer and they should be able to get you going.   Sorry nothing else

0 Likes
ponyruns
Contributor - Level 3

Sorry nothing else i have suggested worked thus far

0 Likes
ponyruns
Contributor - Level 3

Perhaps the hang up is in the

Select the Set Up option then select Next.

• Set Up as New iPhone
  • Restore from iCloud Backup
  • Restore from iTunes Backup.

I think you need to skip this option at first then you can restore your new 4S from your last saved iphone 4 setting.

see this link http://support.verizonwireless.com/support/devices/knowledge_base.html/49074/

if this does not help then I am all out of ideas

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you verify that the old phone (iPhone 4) was turned off before starting the activation of the new phone?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes