Why is my Iphone5 using up data all of a sudden
Hookey
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had my Iphone 5 for almost 2 years now. I was on a single line account that I had for 15 years and never had a problem or overage. I added it to a family plan about a year ago and still no problem and never gone over the 2g for both phones.

Now about 2 weeks ago I broke it off and went back on a single line plan with 2g as the rep told me I never been over 1.5 so that should be plenty.

We to say the least, now that I got on this new plan 2 weeks ago my phone uses data in the middle of the night and pushing me close to my limit with data. I have not been using my phone so as not to go over and have a overage. I have called tech support and they say its fine and will watch the account and was also told I could turn off my data at night. I don't see why I would have to do this if I have wifi and never had an issue in all these years and nothing has changed but my account number.

I think this is unfair that I can not use my phone and enjoy it like I use to, cant even check Facebook as it might us data.. How is this fair to the customer...  I was told I could upgrade my phone to the 6 but not till they are in stock and cant pre order and that they could not even allow me so extra usage on my account for this.

I want Verizon to look into this and fix the issue as i shouldn't have to worry about this and not use my phone over a problem they have with their system.

Thank you

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why is my Iphone5 using up data all of a sudden
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hookey,

Been there. I know I don't like to watch my bill go up and not knowing where it is coming from!

Let’s get that to be more manageable. One of the great features of the iPhone 5 is the ability to control what is using data. Go to Settings>Cellular. Scroll down and you will see “Use Cellular Data For” and a list of applications that you can disable cellular data usage for (I only use it for mail, the rest can wait for my Wi-Fi connection). The other great thing about “Cellular” is you can turn off cellular data altogether. I do this before I connect to my Wi-Fi so I don’t need to worry about it dropping Wi-Fi and using my Data.

There is also an app you can use to see all apps that use data including 3rd party apps you may have downloaded. This lets you know everything that might be using data. Once you know you can disable data or uninstall the application if that option is not available. I find that very useful. You can check that out here: http://bit.ly/1mJfoyE .

You mentioned that you use Facebook. There was a setting I noticed in mine that really brought my data use down. Go to Settings> Facebook. Disable the video auto-play.

BrianP_VZW
Follow Us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hookey,

Been there. I know I don't like to watch my bill go up and not knowing where it is coming from!

Let’s get that to be more manageable. One of the great features of the iPhone 5 is the ability to control what is using data. Go to Settings>Cellular. Scroll down and you will see “Use Cellular Data For” and a list of applications that you can disable cellular data usage for (I only use it for mail, the rest can wait for my Wi-Fi connection). The other great thing about “Cellular” is you can turn off cellular data altogether. I do this before I connect to my Wi-Fi so I don’t need to worry about it dropping Wi-Fi and using my Data.

There is also an app you can use to see all apps that use data including 3rd party apps you may have downloaded. This lets you know everything that might be using data. Once you know you can disable data or uninstall the application if that option is not available. I find that very useful. You can check that out here: http://bit.ly/1mJfoyE .

You mentioned that you use Facebook. There was a setting I noticed in mine that really brought my data use down. Go to Settings> Facebook. Disable the video auto-play.

BrianP_VZW
Follow Us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Hookey
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the tips. I have done most of them My phone never had issues until 2 weeks ago when I did an assumption of liability and they chAnged the account number. Then it started eating data

that same day

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes