google voice messages not showing in visual voicemail
penguins6687

i have the iphone 4s with the free visual voicemail. i also have a google voice account with a separate google phone number. i have my google voice number forwarding to my iphone. when someone dials my google number it rings like it is supposed to on my iphone and if i don't answer the call i get a text message telling me i have a missed call and if someone leaves me a voicemail i get a text message from google telling me so. what i am not getting is the voicemail to show up in the verizon visual voicemail screen. anybody familiar with this and know what I am talking about that can help me figure out or understand why the meesages are not showing up in the verizon visual voicemail?

Thanks-Ken

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: google voice messages not showing in visual voicemail
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

If I'm not mistaken, if you opt to use Google Voice for voicemail then you will not get notifications via the Visual Voicemail screen. You can google this to verify but I believe this is one of the sacrifices if you choose to use Google Voice for vm's (in regards to the visual voicemail system for the iPhone, which is a different system than the rest of the VZW voicemail systems).

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

You need to change your voicemail settings to have your Verizon Voicemail to answer BEFORE Google Voicemail. For example set your VVM to answer after 6 rings and set GVM to 8+ rings. Also make sure you don't have the verification option on(where google asks if you want to takd the call from).

0 Likes
penguins6687

Tidbits, thank you very much, that sounds like an answer that will be helpful. Now if I can sound like either a big dummy or a bit lazy, can you tell me how I can change the number of rings for both VZW and GV? I thought I was all over the settings on theses services and I have never seen an option to change the number of rings.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

I believe that you have to call VZW CS to have them change the number of rings (or the length of time). Not sure about GV, but I would assume the settings for that would have that option. You might need to manage the settings for it via a computer versus doing it on the app on the phone (if you're using the app).

0 Likes
ArnettH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello happy forum members,

Although we don't support 3rd party apps, I must admit that absolutely LOVE Google Talk! It is my favorite app to date and I use it daily! Visual voicemail is also an excellent feature on the iPhone that I have come to enjoy. Google Voice's voice mail does NOT play nice with the iPhone's visual voice mail. By default, Google Voice will redirect all call to it's native voice mail platform. If you would like to redirect the voice mails to the iPhone 4S's visual voice mail then try the steps that I have posted below:

• Go to Settings in the upper right hand corner of the Google Voice screen on your computer's web browser.
  • Go to the Phones tab then select the phone number that you want to remove Google Voice voicemail from and select "Edit".

• In the pop-up, select your carrier. (Verizon of course!)
  • Click the "Show advanced settings" link.

• Next to the "Forwarding Options" near the bottom of the list, click on the "Deactivate" link.

• Follow the dialing instructions in the box that appears on the screen to disable Google Voice voicemail.

As always, I recommend that you test the visual voice mail to ensure that Google Voice's voice mail does not pick up. If you are still having issues with this process then don't hesitate to reply to this message for additional assistance.

Thank you...

ArnettH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Arnett what he wants to do is use VVM, but his Google Voicemail picks up prior to Verizon redirecting to voicemail.

0 Likes