iPhone 4 Battery Problem?
StarryMeiko

I am having an issue with my iPhone 4 battery. I've exchanged it out once before for a similar problem and I was wondering if this was standard or do I just have bad luck with phones? While on the charger, the battery will charge, but then it will start to drain from 100%. I took a screenshot and was wondering if this was normal.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/harvestgoddess/battery.png

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: iPhone 4 Battery Problem?
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Didn't look at your screen shot but your phone is always going to drain to some degree...especially if you have things like Push notification or even fetch on for email among other factors that will play into it. Just depends on your settings...even when you aren't phyiscially using your phone. Try resetting your phone to see if it helps. Also, go through your settings and adjust the ones that you can...this usually will help also.

0 Likes
mikedamirault
Contributor - Level 3
@kaebfly, I think what the OP means is that the iPhone is being discharged while it is plugged in

I have noticed this with multiple Apple products, starting with my MacBook Air, in my experience this is common, usually it's an indication that you are overcharging the battery (keeping it plugged in after a full charge), the battery should be fine and return back to normal once unplugged
0 Likes
Michaelvzn
Contributor - Level 1

the first day my wife had her iphone (after a full charge overnight) starting the day at 100% was down to 62 percent at 3pm that afternoon,  which was wierd...... it turns out that she didnt check the application settings and allowed everything to push to her especially facebook and google latitude as well as gps and location awareness apps...

sent her this link

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

and the next day, everything was normal on battery usage......we also started provisioning the battery (full charge down to almost no charge) and then completing with a full charge .... something we do with all of our devices monthly (it helps)

0 Likes
mikedamirault
Contributor - Level 3

Michaelvzn wrote:

the first day my wife had her iphone (after a full charge overnight) starting the day at 100% was down to 62 percent at 3pm that afternoon,  which was wierd...... it turns out that she didnt check the application settings and allowed everything to push to her especially facebook and google latitude as well as gps and location awareness apps...

sent her this link

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

and the next day, everything was normal on battery usage......we also started provisioning the battery (full charge down to almost no charge) and then completing with a full charge .... something we do with all of our devices monthly (it helps)

Like I said in my last post, the OP has the phone plugged during this process, common sense says that a battery should stay at %100 after a full charge, not deplete the battery while the charger is still plugged in, except for most Apple products, if you do not remove the charger after %100, the battery will deplete itself until it's unplugged, it's not an issue of running apps or other battery killing apps and features

@OP, I just took a closer look at your screenshot, a fellow Portal fan I see :smileywink:, took me a bit to notice it was GLaDOS in potato form (after Wheatly takes over), I used to have Still Alive set as my ringtone on my Eris before getting the iPhone :smileyvery-happy: 

0 Likes
StarryMeiko

I never knew that this was a problem with Apple, I've never had that problem with any other phone before, of course they were all LG's before. I leave my phone on the charger overnight as it is usually when it is needing to be charged. As for the wallpaper on my phone it was something I personally made in Photoshop and Photoscape.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

mikedamirault wrote:

Like I said in my last post, the OP has the phone plugged during this process, common sense says that a battery should stay at %100 after a full charge, not deplete the battery while the charger is still plugged in, except for most Apple products, if you do not remove the charger after %100, the battery will deplete itself until it's unplugged, it's not an issue of running apps or other battery killing apps and features

@OP, I just took a closer look at your screenshot, a fellow Portal fan I see :smileywink:, took me a bit to notice it was GLaDOS in potato form (after Wheatly takes over), I used to have Still Alive set as my ringtone on my Eris before getting the iPhone :smileyvery-happy: 

Maybe I've been lucky with all of my Apple products but I have never had this occur on any of them. I have left things plugged in well pass being 100% charged and they didn't have batteries that started to deplete itself until unplugged. I don't know if this should be considered normal or not, but I surely wouldn't consider it to the norm and just write it off as such. Like I said, maybe I've been luck all of these years.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

if you google "iphone battery drain while plugged in" you will find a lot of info on this. it doesn't appear to be uncommon. 

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

AZSALUKI wrote:

if you google "iphone battery drain while plugged in" you will find a lot of info on this. it doesn't appear to be uncommon. 

Not saying the issue doesn't exist...just saying that for me it has never happened on any of my apple devices. I don't claim to be an Apple lifer (I got my first Apple product in 2004) but I have owned several products since then...all of which are still functional and none of which have displayed this issue. So like I said, maybe I've just been really, really lucky...

For curiosity sake, does Apple deem this to be a normal thing or is it just accepted as normal by users?

0 Likes
mikedamirault
Contributor - Level 3

kaebfly wrote:

mikedamirault wrote:

Maybe I've been lucky with all of my Apple products but I have never had this occur on any of them. I have left things plugged in well pass being 100% charged and they didn't have batteries that started to deplete itself until unplugged. I don't know if this should be considered normal or not, but I surely wouldn't consider it to the norm and just write it off as such. Like I said, maybe I've been luck all of these years.

Well, as I type this, my MacBook Air is currently plugged in, light on the MagSafe adapter is green (meaning fully charged), and I have the plug symbol inside the battery symbol (instead of the lightning bolt, also meaning fully charged) yet the battery indicator says 99%

While I personally don't think it's a big issue, It does seem to be quite common, and I have noticed this both on my MacBook Air and my iPhone

If it means anything, I have had my laptop plugged in for about a day if not longer, so you might not notice it if you unplug it in about 1~5 hours after a full charge

0 Likes