iPhone 4S activation issues(Port from AT&T)
raymondwy

I received my iPhone 4S tonight from a tired UPS guy with excitement.

However after some smooth activation through iTunes and restoring my settings from my previous iPhone. I was not able to receive and make any calls.

I tried calling Verizon wireless customer support and the lady(who was very kind, btw) told me my number is not even in their system.

So 5 hours later I am still stick with a brand new iPhone 4S with no capability to call or text anyone while my supposed gone AT&T iPhone 4 is still working.

How do I even check if my number is ported?

Any solutions?

PS. Heck I even checked here: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/LNPControllerServlet with my number and it said there's no port request.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: iPhone 4S activation issues(Port from AT&T)
Kev48us
Contributor - Level 1

i would talk to att and make shure they did a correct port i would also take in your att bill in case they cant look up your phone number then they should be abel to look it up with your account number

0 Likes
lyl209

I have the same problem. Check Verizon website or calling port center all said that there is no such request.

Called Verizon customer service and on phone with them last nigth for about an hour, the lady said she sent the request over and as soon as they finished it they will send me a text. I was expecting to have my phone activated & ported this morning, looks like it is going to be hard.

0 Likes
sbarron

I had an activation problem with porting from AT&T to Verizon, but got it straightened out. This is my story:

I ordered the iPhone 4s from apple.com, and entered the porting information it asked for.  When I got the phone, it would not activate.

I first called VZ as that's what the phone instructs you to do, the guy wasn't particularly helpful and seemed rushed.  He could find no details of an account for me, even by ssn, and I was apparently supposed to be issued a temporary phone number but never was.  He said I needed to call Apple.

I then called Apple and bounced through several people who were confused because that error message wasn't in the script, eventually one of them told me to call VZ.

I then turned to twitter and got very prompt and excellent support from the @VZWSupport account.  I was soon on the phone with Mike, who was very friendly and very helpful, and he was able to get my account details entered and set up but still referred me back to Apple saying they needed to send some request again - that the request had a date of Nov 2 on it.

I then called Apple back, and waited a VERY LONG TIME on hold (they were swamped, and one of the guys said they were all doing mandatory overtime).  I bounced through 2 people who weren't able to help then I finally got a guy (I don't remember his name, unfortunately) who understood the story thus far.  He said that the request from Apple didn't make sense, that he used to work for VZ and explained to me how number ports work.  He then did the amazing and placed me on hold while he called VZ, got their guy on the phone, and conferenced all 3 of us.  HE explained the situation, so I wouldn't have to, then handed me over to Malik at VZ.

Malik then proceeded to get the information he needed from me and was able to set up the phone, get it activated, set up a temporary number so I could use the phone, and get the port going while on the phone with me.  A couple hours later the port went through and now everything is working.

Ultimately I believe VZ was able to do the complete activation all along, so you might persist with contacting them.  I have no idea how you might get to Malik directly, but he's the guy who got it all going for me.  The team that manages the twitter account is also top notch.  Aside from the first guy, who wasn't rude or anything just probably tired, everyone I spoke to was pretty awesome.  The Apple guys were mostly unhelpful or ambivalent (I suppose because it really was VZ's problem) except for the last guy, who used to work for VZ.

Good luck.

0 Likes
limerun

hmmm   Same issue and found that Apple had set the port date request as Nov 3..   In the above it was Nov 2..  I think I see a trend... 

0 Likes
JohnB_VZW
Verizon Employee

I'm sorry that your port request has not gone through and you have not been able to use your new iPhone 4S. You can contact our Port In department at 888-844-7095 to check on the status of your request. They will be more then happy to assist you in getting your number ported in.

I hope this information has been helpful and apologize for any inconvenience.

0 Likes
jflash530

I also had this happen. I went back to the store after 3 hours of nothing happening. They had to re-activate the phone. It took about 1 minute and all was well. Hope this works for you.

0 Likes
mmlon

This issue is happening to my number too. Apparently it a system error now! They told me it may take 24 hour to resolve issue. They even have a trouble ticket for me(S3021378). I'm very disappointed in switching services now. Please help!

0 Likes
ercondon

this has actually become a REAL problem.  the phone was purchased on sunday morning.....we are at 36 hours and counting with no activation, with about 4 of those hours on the phone with Verizon Support. 

What I don't understand is why is this not getting more press.  it's a complete disaster.....i never thought I would say this, because I have been a big fan of verizon for many years, but I am nearing the breaking point.

It really is amazing to me that in this day and age fiascos like this can still occur. 

Anyway, I am probably about a day away from just brining the phone back to apple and just staying with ATT.  They were bad, but they were not this bad. 

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

ercondon wrote:

this has actually become a REAL problem.  the phone was purchased on sunday morning.....we are at 36 hours and counting with no activation, with about 4 of those hours on the phone with Verizon Support. 

What I don't understand is why is this not getting more press.  it's a complete disaster.....i never thought I would say this, because I have been a big fan of verizon for many years, but I am nearing the breaking point.

It really is amazing to me that in this day and age fiascos like this can still occur. 

Anyway, I am probably about a day away from just brining the phone back to apple and just staying with ATT.  They were bad, but they were not this bad. 

Did you do your port via Apple or Verizon? It sounds like many that are having issues initiated their port through Apple...at which point the anger should likely be more with Apple than VZW (despite the blame game being passed). I'm just guessing...but if the process started on the Apple website then perhaps there is something on their end that didn't sync correctly with the VZW system. At any rate, in your case did you consider bypassing telephone CS support and perhaps visiting an Apple or VZW store to get hands-on help? It might get things straightened out quicker (hopefully).

0 Likes