iPhone 4S losing data connectivity
gakathon

My iPhone 4S keeps dropping data connection despite showing strong signals.  The display goes from the "3G" to the circle, for no apparent reason, and connections to app, (Facebook, Words With Friends), is lost, as well as the ability to connect to the mail server, while the display shows 3 "bars" of connectivity.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: iPhone 4S losing data connectivity
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@gakathon,

Let's get your data on the path to consistency. I want you to be able to utilize data at your convenience. Let's provide some information towards the circle that appears when data seems to slow or non-existent. The circle is a 1X signal which will still allow for voice and text messages to go through much of the time. This is why you notice that signal (bars) is good.

To ensure that your device is running on the optimum network signal. Please dial *22899 from your keypad. If you still lack consistency in your signal please reset your network. Follow the instructions here to reset your network: Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. http://vz.to/uLOEAI.

I would also advise to review your coverage area at verizonwireless.com/maps to ensure that you are in strong 3G coverage area. I want to thank you for bringing this to the attention of the forums.

YosefT_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes
jspinnj

I'm having the same issue with my 4s.  I'm trying the recommendation to call *22899.  I've also noticed that my phone seems to freeze up a lot lately.  Either the screen goes black after I press the home button or it's literally frozen on a screen.  Maybe i don't power down enough?  Any thoughts?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there jspinnj.  Lets warm up that iPhone 4S to keep it from freezing.  Thanks for trying *228, sometimes that is the simple fix as it updates your phone in conjunction with our network.

Your phone should not consistently freeze or go black.  One think I always make sure to do is that I make sure to close down the applications that I am not using. To close down apps that are running follow these steps, http://bit.ly/Pxq6E6.

Also, please try a soft reset by holding down the power button and the home key at the same time.  This will shut everything down and restart the phone.  Sometimes the phone just has too much going on causing it to freeze and a soft reset always helps.

Let us know if you continue to have troubles.

NickB_VZW
VZWSupport
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Debi42k

My 4s & 4th Gen ipad also freeze at times. Sometimes it is when there is a HTML link in an email. When I click it, nothing happens & the phone or iPad is completely locked up. I have to "force quit" the email app, then do a soft reset before it will function properly. I also have problems updating Apps. Again, I have to do a reset. After the phone restarts I will receive a message telling me I am unable to purchase the Apps at this time & to try again later. I can then go back & update them & they are fine. I would say this happens at least 2-4 times a month on each device. I have had the phone for almost a year & the iPad for about 6 months.

Thanks!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm really sorry to hear about the problems encountered with your devices, Deb42k. It sounds like you have two defective devices. They will both be covered by the one year warranty that Apple provides. Please follow me and send a private message that includes a contact number. We can get this addressed today.

ChaunceyM_VZW

Folllow us on support @VZWSupport

0 Likes
LuvTigger

I am having the same problems as you. This has been going on for a couple days now. I called *228 to update my phone but I still lose the 3G and get the circle. It happens through out the day for no reason and usually last for a couple minutes then goes back to 3G. Is this a Verizon issue or an iPhone issue?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi LuvTigger. Let's get to the bottom of your iPhone's trouble with data. Dialing *228 is definitely a great place to start, but you really only need to dial that about once a month to update your phone's roaming capabilities. Did you already try any of the previously recommended steps, like resetting your network settings http://vz.to/uLOEAI or closing down running applications http://bit.ly/Pxq6E6? Those steps are not only great ways to refresh your phone's connection to the network, but also help to keep your phone running smoothly and avoid connection issues. If you're still having trouble, there's a few more great steps to try at http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/assistant/phone/.

Thank you
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes