iPhone 5 always "searching"
jriphonehelp

I'm having the same problem. My iPhone 5 has been "searching" for 24 hours. During that time, I've flown to different states with someone else who has an iPhone 5 with Verizon and who has not experienced any issues at all. Given that, location can be eliminated as the potential trouble. I checked the bill...all current and paid there. The phone hasn't been damaged, dropped, or exposed to any type of trauma. I've tried reseting the network settings, restarting several times, and ejecting the sim card with no success. My iPhone is still "searching." Any advice, Verizon?

Comment edited to start new discussion.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why is my phone "Searching..." constantly?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jriphonehelp,

I'm sorry to hear you have been having trouble getting service. If you've been traveling I'm sure the last thing you want is to be without service. Let's get that working for you again! I would concur with your determination that it is not location specific. The fact that you have been in multiple locations with someone else that has no issues makes that pretty clear. As you mentioned that you checked the account and there are no issues there that brings us to the device.

Have you had any other trouble with this iPhone? Do you have any kind of case on the device? If so, could you remove the case and powercycle the device. Does service return when you power back on or does it still search for service with the case removed? You mentioned you "reset network settings," you can also "reset all settings" without it deleting anything from your phone. If the problem is still taking place once you do that I would replace the sim card. I know you have been traveling, you can find a store near you here: http://vz.to/1aDzA92 .

Hope that gets you back in business so you can focus on your trip! Let us know if there is anything else we can do to be of help.

Sincerely,

BrianP_VZW
Follow Us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: iPhone 5 always "searching"
jriphonehelp

Turns out it was the sim card reader in the phone. Since I was just a few weeks outside of the one year warranty period, I had to fork over $269 to replace the phone. The guy at the genius bar explained to me that sometimes these things just malfunction.

0 Likes
bmc260

I have the same problem. my iPhone 5s has done this at least ten times in the past two days and it's extremely inconvenient. I have tried shutting my phone off, resetting the network, and taking out the sim card, but it always happens again after I do these things.

0 Likes
cyoung_mke

Just got off the phone with Antoine at Verizon help. They will replace my SIM card for free. It took a long chat with Apple, several restores, more searching on Verizon's community pages, and a long wait on the phone for service to get this answer. I hope it works.

0 Likes