iPhone5 Doesn't Ring...Goes Straight to Voice Mail.
christa1024
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having problems with my iPhone 5. For the past 2 days, I don't hear the phone ring, but will suddenly get a notification that I have a voice mail. Why is this happening and how do I fix it?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
Re: iPhone5 Doesn't Ring...Goes Straight to Voice Mail.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's get to the bottom of this issue christa1024! Does this happen with every phone call or only certain contacts? First troubleshooting step is to confirm that your ringer switch is not set to silent mode. Please check the ringer switch on the top left side of your phone and confirm.

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
christa1024
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

It does not happen with every phone call nor with only certain contacts.  It seems really random.  I have the phone set on vibrate and it is right next to me so I certainly here the vibration on my wooden desk when it rings  and it vibrates when I get the voice mail.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for clarifying, christa. Are you consistently getting a strong signal yet still missing the call? Please complete a soft reset of the device by holding the Power and Home keys for 10 seconds until it restarts.

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes
christa1024
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok! I will give it a try. Thank you!

Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 10:20:13 -0800

To: christa1024@hotmail.com

Subject: - Re: iPhone5 Doesn't Ring...Goes Straight to Voice Mail.

created by Verizon Wireless Customer Support in iPhone 5 - View the full discussion

Thank you for clarifying, christa. Are you consistently getting a strong signal yet still missing the call? Please complete a soft reset of the device by holding the Power and Home keys for 10 seconds until it restarts.

YaleK_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Verizon Wireless Community

Start a new discussion in iPhone 5 by email or at Verizon Wireless Community

© 2011 Verizon Wireless

Verizon Wireless | One Verizon Way | Mail Code: 180WVB | Basking Ridge, NJ 07920

We respect your privacy. Please review our privacy policy for more information.

Not interested in these emails anymore, or want to change how often they come? Update your email preferences.

0 Likes
christa1024
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am still having problems...it just happened again. My iPhone 5 doesn't ring, just goes to voice mail. The call came from another Verizon iPhone.

0 Likes
Trimfit

I have the exact same problem on my iPhone 5. Yesterday, the hospital called to let me know a family member was ready to be picked up after surgery. I quietly awaited the call, but none came. They called our lanolin and said they left me a message on my cell, and the message was there. I immediately called my cell from our landline and the cell rang normally, just minutes after the hospital's call didn't get through. I'll bet calls go to voicemail if Verizon's system is too overloaded to put the call through. It was mid afternoon, when schools get out and parents are scurrying around to pick up their kids.

If you have medical situations, Verizon's mobile service seems much too hit-or-miss.

0 Likes
vz_usernl

My wife's phone is also having the similar issues. Just randomly some of the calls (may be 60-70% of the calls) go directly to voicemail without any phone ring. She is missing important phone calls. We are verizon customers for over 10 years now, and we never experienced problems like this. It all started only 3-4 days back. She is using an iphone 5 and I upgraded the iOS to 7 last night. But, even this morning, she missed several calls. We live in zipcode 78717.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Trimfit

As mentioned above, I had the exact same problem, i.e. calls randomly going directly to voicemail. Turned out my iPhone 5 was dying, and only randomly able to link to the Verizon network. Now it doesn't link at all (no service bars), so all calls go directly to voicemail.

So first, be sure your phone is backed up to your computer or the iCloud via iTunes (directions available online at Apple Tech Support). Then call Verizon Wireless Support on another phone (preferably a landline) and have your troubled iPhone handy and charged. The tech will likely walk you through a (potentially time consuming) process as he tries to isolate and fix the problem. If the phone is defective (as mine was), you'll need to replace it. With luck it's still be under warrantee. Best of luck!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

christa1024,

I know how important it is to get those calls flowing. Is it every call? Please follow the following steps to Disable and rule out call forwardig, http://vz.to/1bdVZKA

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes