iphone 4 using way too much data
GUS7

I just got an iphone 4 for my mom last month. She hasn't used for much of anything, but calls, texting a recently emails. She hasn't even used or downloaded any apps, she is waiting for a class she is taking this week. Saturday I received a text saying that I exceeded 50% of our data. My wife and I usually only use a Gig at the most, we have 4 gigs on our plan (Droid X2s). I checked the data for the individual phones and my mom's phone used about 1.75 gigs a couple weeks into the billing cycle. Then Sunday morning I receive a text say we have exceeded our data. My wife called and had our data bumped up to 6 gigs and my mom's data blocked for now. My mom went to the Verizon store and they said everything looks fine (very helpful) and that downloading video and music would have done it. She has not doing any of that.  She is going to try the apple store next to see if they can help.

Unfortunately I can not do much, she is on the west coast and I am in the midwest. Does anyone have any possible solutions? I am not familiar with iphones, i know you have to turn off the apps manually, but she hasn't been using any at least to her knowledge. I'm not sure what could use over 2 gigs overnight. I know she recently set up her email, so that is my only guess. But 2 gigs is a lot of email.

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: iphone 4 using way too much data
rcschnoor
Legend

Has she been taking photos? I believe photostream is defaulted to upload each and every photo when it is taken, UNLESS you change the setting to wifi only. This could be a serious drain on your data especially if she is just taking random photos to test the camera. Even is she deletes the photos immediately, they have already been uploaded to her photo stream.

Does she have her phone to back up automatically to iCloud? Another possible area where serious data usage can occur. When setting up the phone initially, you must choose whether or not to backup to a computer or to the cloud. Sure it sounds convenient, especially if you don't normally use a computer, but how much data do you think is used to backup an 8GB iPhone 4? (hint: up to 8GB)

There are several areas where serious data usage can occur, especially to a new smartphone user or even someone migrating to their 1st iPhone from a different platform.

0 Likes
GUS7

Thanks, I will try to walk her through that or someone anyway. That is very helpful, I will let you know how it goes. I know she has taken pictures and even some video.

0 Likes
Skuutz

Has the phone been updated to iOS 6? If so, go over to the Apple forums. There are quite a few pages, and among them, people have had the same problem with data overages. Something about a continuous loop trying to send error information to Apple.

0 Likes