text from an email
rcmoore05

Can I send a text from an email on my 5s

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: text from an email
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

Yes, if you know the SMS gateway for the person to whom you are sending the "text".

0 Likes
rcmoore05

what sms gateway

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_gateway

For Verizon phone numbers, the gateway is tendigitnumber@vtext.com (for just text) or tendigitnumber@vxwpix.com (for MMS).

You would need to get with the other person to verify what carrier they are on and what the SMS gateway is for that carrier.

0 Likes
rcmoore05

got u thanks now how would I save this new contact number so I can forward easily

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

In the Messages app, go to the message you sent to the gateway email address, tap on "Contact" in the upper right corner, tap the 'i' in the blue circle, select "Create New Contact".

Or go to the Contact App and create the contact directly there or add to an existing contact.

0 Likes
streitz1

Is it possible to reply to someone who sends a text message to myphone#@vtext.com? People send me text messages through this gateway but there seems to be no way to reply  ("Not Delivered" message comes up...)

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good Morning, streitz1!

Thank you so much for reaching out to us today. I would love to be able to assist you with your concerns. You should have no problems with sending a message back this way if the number you are reaching out to is a Verizon Wireless Number. What kind of device do you have? Have you ever been successful with sending a message down this gateway before? Please keep us posted.

KevinR_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
streitz1

Well, no- the text is usually sent by someone sitting on a computer from Outlook. It is, after all, an email:text message gateway, right? The email almost never originates from someone on a verizon wireless device.

This works painlessly on my ATT iPhone, and worked on my Verizon Blackberry so I was a little surprised that when I upgraded to a Verizon iPhone it appears to support only one way communication.

Has something Verizon changed recently?

Thanks for your support !

Fred

Sent with Good (www.good.com)

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

It works on my iPhone.  I can respond to an email sent to that "text" email address although the recipient gets it from the number@vzwpix.com address and not the straight number@vtext.com address.  And the response is an attachment.  Could the email system that the recipient is using be rejecting the email?

Since the people are using Outlook, could they just send you an email?

0 Likes