use upgrade for my son
iradoncic

me and my son have separate Verizon accounts. I am eligible for upgrade and he's not.

Can I use my upgrade to get iphone 5 for him? I am fine with extending contract for another 2 years.

if so, how can I do it and if there's any delays/fees with it?

thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: use upgrade for my son
cman0928
Contributor - Level 1

I think you could do that as long as you are willing to extend your contract by 2 years, which you said you are. You'd have to order the iPhone 5, have it shipped to you, then once you received it your son would have to call Verizon and have them activate it under his phone number. They would require the IMEI number of the phone for this I believe. If you activate it right out of the box it will be done so under your mobile number. So make sure he calls Verizon prior to trying to activate it himself and there shouldn't be an issue. Verizon doesn't really care what you do with the phone as long as A) you've paid for the device and B) you've extended your contract for another 2 years.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The warranty or insurance won't transfer to the iphone on the other account though.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Iradoncic, the iPhone 5 is a great choice!  Check out some of the device key features here: http://bit.ly/VCIAGA.  You can definitely purchase the device under your line, and once activated to your line, switch to your son's line.  As long as your line is either still in contract, or was once in a 1 or 2 year contract with Verizon Wireless, you may transfer your upgrade to another line.  Only the ordering line would receive the contract extension.  As Ann154 mentioned, once the device activates onto a different account, the warranty and/or insurance protection coverage will not transfer.  Have you two considered consolidating your accounts into one account?  Check out our Assumption of Liability option here: http://bit.ly/PAwajA and check out our new Share Everything plan here: http://bit.ly/SqA5Az!  You may see a savings by combining the two lines!

AnthonyTa_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Vdede626
Contributor - Level 1

Cool so if his son has unlimited data will he be able to keep it.

0 Likes
guitar_banae
Enthusiast - Level 2

Negative on that one. I just recently switched to a new smartphone...not an upgrade, but one that I purchased without a contract. I was on the grandfathered unlimited data plan. Not any more. Once you change phones, forget about it..you are forced to choose a tiered data plan.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

You are the exception, then, as the vast majority on here have reported doing just that, let alone the fact Verizon has issued statements saying the same.

I would check into your account for the reason you were switched. If it is still within 14 days of your change, you should be able to change back, unless there was some other reason why the change was made.

Fergie20

What does Verizon call this type of transfer?  I had a Verizon rep tell me over the phone when I am ready to transfer an upgrade to my line and activate,  to call and tell the Verizon CS rep a word that they will understand what I am doing. 

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I believe the term you are looking for is "alternate upgrade".

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@guitar_banae,

I understand how important keeping unlimited data is to you. As others have mentioned if you activate a different phone on your line you can keep the unlimited data plan. The only way you would lose the unlimited data plan is if you upgrade the line and accept a discount on the phone. Activating a previously owned phone will not cause you to lose your unlimited data plan.

Send me a direct message so I can access your account and see what happened. Include your name, mobile number, and a brief summary of your concern.

I'll be more than happy to further assist you.

John B

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes