Billed after cancellation and reported to credit agency
Seaniqua

Good Morning

I have had a rough (to say the least) last couple of years. the passing of my son and seperation from my spouse. This unfortunatly lead to several things falling through the cracks. In the midst of my tradgedy I relocated and transferred my service. Before I could blink my old account (which I paid prior to moving) was in collections. I guess the new account was an entirely different account. A few months in I realized I couldnt afford the service, most of the money came from my husband and during the seperation he cut fund to us, I was working part time to get treatment after my sons suicide, there fore barley had money for rent. So I cancelled the service and because of the situation changed phone numbers and email with out thinking. Somehow I was still being billed for Verizon service. I checked my credit report as I do here and there because I maintain a clearance for my job and saw I owed verizon. I went to the nearest verizon store and they told me they couldnt help me because they only service wireless acocunt and they gave me a phone number to call. I stayed on hold for 30 minutes before being told that if I didnt remember my pin they couldnt help, then they gave me the address to another store who could help. When speaking with the rep, I was told that even after I paid this mark would remain on my credit for the next 7 years. I wrote a letter to corporate but never recieved a response. Another verizon rep told me to contact Verizons CEO. I am hoping someone could assist me at a lower level, I believe that missing the continued billing is in fact my fault, but I hope that someone out in Verizon world has a heart and will agree to removing this blemish from my report once its paid. I think I have had it hard enough and really should be penalized for the next 7 years for this oversight. Is there anyone who can assist with this without me having to hound the CEO of this company?

Respectfully

Seaniqua

0 Likes
Re: Billed after cancellation and reported to credit agency
jonjones1
Legend

The problem has nothing to do with life events either present or prior. Verizon like other companies waits a period of time before they report to the credit bureaus.

they adhere to the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act and the credit bureaus have to abide by this law as well as state laws. 

The blemish as you call it stays on 7 years from last reported (charge off) date or last payment date. Now if you pay this invoice now and not knowing when it went unpaid the clock will start over for the next 7 years. It will just be changed to “paid-charge off” 

you have a right to contact the credit bureaus and write a statement of particulars. However the long story you told in your post will not do any good. Creditors or future lenders only see the delinquency so it’s just going be another futile attempt on your part. 

0 Likes
Re: Billed after cancellation and reported to credit agency
Seaniqua

Hello

Thanks for the response. You are totally correct. I am aware of the process and understand how it was created to function. I have found that things are not always black and white and sometime it DOES matter how an individual got to a certain position. --- I recieved a call from a young man at Verizon who was able to assist with the matter. He put this assistance in writing and it has now been taken care of in a manner that is satisfactory for both verizon and myself (minus the credit bureaus)

0 Likes