Erroneous outstanding account balance sent to collection agency and reported to credit agencies
jjg9296
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am EXTREMELY frustrated with Verizon! 

After several years as a loyal Verizon FIOS residential customer (and NEVER having a late payment), I moved to a new home in an area where the service is not available.

I canceled my service (back in June, 2014) and per Verizon's instructions, I dropped all of my TV/Internet equipment at a UPS location and was provided with a form documenting receipt.

Soon thereafter, I started receiving text messages that I needed to return my equipment.  A couple of months later I got a bill for $108 for a modem, then I started getting calls from a third party threatening me with "consequences" if I didn't return the equipment. 

Each time I patiently explained that I had already returned the devices, and yes, I had a receipt with a tracking number.  And each time I was told not to worry, that it often took some time for Verizon's records to "synch up".

During one conversation, the rep acknowledged seeing that all of the equipment was accounted for, but it could take another few weeks for Verizon's system to recognize this.

In late October, we received yet another bill...still indicating an outstanding balance of $108, with a note that "overdue bills are subject to collection action".  I called and spoke with someone named "Perry" who stated that a specialized team would research the matter and call us back (but said that could take up to two weeks). 

We heard nothing until we received a statement in late December from North Shore (Collection) Agency, indicating the balance of $108 is still outstanding.

Yesterday I received an alert from a FICO monitoring app that my credit score had just declined by 100+ points.  Sure enough, when I researched the reason, it was because Verizon had reported a delinquent account.

Today I spent over an hour on the phone with multiple employee in different departments trying to get this situation sorted out, but was unsuccessful.  The billing/finance department can see where there is no balance due, but for some reason, "June" in the credit reporting are has different information.  And to add an even more ridiculous explanation, individuals in these two departments are apparently unable to talk/coordinate with each other.

I was told it could take a week or so to get this corrected, but given the track record of misinformation and lack of follow through, I doubt anything will happen.

This is the most ludicrous expereince I've ever had with a "service" company, and a very simple error on the part of Verizon has now resulted in a very serious issue with my credit rating.

Unfortunately, I can't believe my situation is unique.  Has anyone else had an expereince like this and/or have advice on what I should do next?

Re: Erroneous outstanding account balance sent to collection agency and reported to credit agencies
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry you are having difficulty, an agent with access to your account will reach out to you directly by email, private message in the Forums and/or the billing telephone number on your Verizon account for more information to help you resolve your issue.

0 Likes
Re: Erroneous outstanding account balance sent to collection agency and reported to credit agencies
voov
Enthusiast - Level 2

The more I search about this issue, of people having a mysterious bill, the more disappointed I am with verizon. I never had a late payment or missed a payment in my life. I never had a problem with verizon untill now and it seems like no one seems to care or even try to help whenever I call. I spent almost 3 hours Thrusday, and Friday I couldn't get a chance to call finance until now because it seems they close at 6pm and they don't seem to work during the weekends. No one seems to know what's going on and I'm just beeing transfer from billing to finance. Today I spent an hour and didn't get any answers, only excuses. I had a couple of them hang up the phone which I think it's rude. 

When I was living in a townhouse, in 08/30/12, I opened a verizon residential account, DSL and phone, since they didn't offer Fast  Fios internet. In 2013 I  bought a house which provides fios internet. and In 01/07/14 I placed an ordered to have internet installed for  01/16/14 and cancel my old account or get it transfered. I called verizon to ask them to have me shipped a box to ship my old router but I was told I could just drop it off at a local verizon store, so I did. And returned the old DSL modem which they sent a box for me to return it. When I received my new router, I followed the instructions and installed it myself. 

This year for personal business, I went to check up on my credit report and it states I have a Closed account from Verizon and a Delinquency Bill of  $108, that was first reported in 06/2014. The Date that was reported again was 05/15/15. I always had paperless and paid my bill online so I don't understand how I even got a bill that I wasn't told or received. Whenever I call, I'm being told that I shouldn't worry about it because my balance is paid off. But no one seems to know anything about this bill. I had some girl tell me that maybe it was a bill that was sent to my previous address and when I asked her what kind of bill was it? Because last time I checked the payments were $93, not $108. So I'm assuming based of what I'm reading here. The bill has to be for the Verizon Router. But I can't confirm this. I paid everything online, and have records of every payment I made with my credit card, but since I can't access my old verizon account so I can look at the bill history, I regret doing paperless. How can they even bill me after I returned everything and cancelled the old account.  I'm frustrated because I currently have an active Verizon wireless, and Fios internet and the thought of a company you're doing business with is trying to ruin you credit score is like getting stabbed and slowly bleeding to death. 

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Hello voov

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you.

Please go to your profile page for the forum, and look in the middle, right at the top where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under “My Support Cases” you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions.

To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe".

Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes