False Debt Collection for Returned Equipment
saints20

Verizon has claimed that I have an uppaid debt in the amount of $772.91 for a set-top box I had in my previous residence.  When I moved out I brought the box to a local UPS store to ship to Verizon.  Verizon has a deal with UPS where they will ship the box to a verizon location free of charge.

I have the reciept from the transaction and a tracking number which shows the box was delivered and signed for.  Now Verizon is claiming I owe this amount for the box! Furthermore they have submitted my bill to a debt collection agency to which I disputed the claim.  I refuted the claim with the tracking # and receipt and Verizon withdrew their claim.  Now Verizon has opened a subsequent claim with ANOTHER debt collection agency! To make matters worse, I can't speak to a single human at Verizon about this issue, they simply direct my calls elsewhere.  

I am beyond upset with Verizon for this wrongful accusation and demand to speak to someone about this issue.  I have been a customer for many years and disgusted with this treatment.

0 Likes
Re: False Debt Collection
sithlady

Same here. Verizon even said they received the box, removed the charge and still sent me to collections. It's on my credit report now.

0 Likes
saints20

How were you able to get the amount off your verizon account, and have you discovered how to remove the negative points from your credit score? I can't reach anybody to help with this issue at Verizon. 

0 Likes
sithlady

Verizon acknowledged from the beginning that they received my box, so I didn't have to dispute them there, but it took them 6 months to remove the charge from my account. Meanwhile they sent me to collections apparently, though they never told me that. I just found the collections account on my credit report today. I called verizon and they basically blew me off and told me to wait 2 more billing cycles, its already been 6 months since I returned the box. I disputed the collection with all three credit reporting agencies and filed a complaint with the BBB.

0 Likes
Re: False Debt Collection for Returned Equipment
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi saints20,

Sorry you are having difficulty. An agent with access to your account will reach out to you directly by email, private message in the Forums and/or the billing telephone number on your Verizon account for more information or to help you resolve your issue.

0 Likes
saints20

Thanks for getting back to me.  Once the debt collection agency approves my dispute (I know they will since I've already disputed and won once already) I'll message back here.  This seems to be a common theme with customers and their equipment.  It's actually very disapointing that this has to go this far and that it shows up on my credit score for equipment I have already returned.  In any case, I will wait for the dispute to be resolved then I'll be getting in contact again to deal with you guys.

Thanks, 

0 Likes
Jessica12345

I, too, am having the same issue about false charges for supposed non-returned equipment.  I have been going through the runaround for over 6 months, and they keep telling me that the equipment was, in fact, returned but that I have to talk to a supervisor to get the charges reversed.  They also told me that they wouldn't report this to the credit agency yet they did.

DO NOT ACCEPT THE RUNAROUND.  I am going to speak with my representatives, the Federal Trade Commission and anyone that I can to get this issue taken care of.

Research the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Hello Jessica12345

Sorry you are having difficulty, an agent with access to your account will reach out to you directly by email, private message in the Forums and/or the billing telephone number on your Verizon account for more information to help you resolve your issue.Please remember to check your spam/junk folder if you do not hear from an agent.

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!