False Failure to Return Equipment Claim by Verizon
terryn2

I cancelled my Verizon service in early September.  While I was happy with Fios, they were not willing to give me a reasonable price on just phone and internet.  I've been waiting over two months now to get refunded for the credit on my account, only to find in the last bill, where I expected to finally see a check, instead a $200 charge for unreturned equipment.  I should have expected this, and even more so now that I look at this forum and see numerous simiiar complaints.  I don't know whether it's incompetence or deliberate profit taking from customers who have cancelled service, but it makes one wonder.

After calming down I called Verizon today, explained the problem, and gave the UPS tracking number for my return shipment.  Looking up that tracking number clearly shows the returned equipment being received and signed for in Camp Hill, PA on Sept 11, 2014.  The representative I spoke to today said it should be resolved in 3 days, but after looking at this forum I wonder.  I have additional evidence of the return.  I took pictures of all my equipment being packed into the box.  I can provide that to Verizon if they claim my shipment did not have everything.  I don't know what more evidence is possible in the situaton.

I do think Verizon's whole mechanism for tracking inventory has serious problems.  When they sent me my notification of equipment to return after cancelling service, the listing was incorrect.  It claimed I had 3 cable cards and 1 "equipment unknown".  Does anyone have a an "equipment unknown" from Verizon?  What does it look like?  : )   I called them and they did not know either, but thought it was probably my modem.  As for the cable cards, I only have two.  They were trying to fix one of them last year and sent me a replacement, and then a tech came to my house and swapped in yet another one and took the others away.  Hum - no proof of that you say.  Well, on the phone Verizon said the third card was showing up in "the warehouse".  Including an item in their warehouse on the equipment to return listing is your first clue they have a problem tracking their inventory - no wait - the "unknown equipment" was the first clue.   The rep on the phone call I made after getting the erroneous equipment to return list in Sept.  said she was changing their records to show I just had two cable cards in my possession.

Wanting to take no chances I went with the assumption that the "unknown equipment" was my by now totally worthless and obsolete modem they said was "free" over 3 years ago when I started Fios service.  Ignoring this obvious reneging on the "free modem" offer, I returned it to them along with the 2 cable cards.  Why they wanted the modem back was a mystery.  They probably trashed it when they got it.

So now they are trying to say I did not return the 2 cable cards.  Interestingly enough, they are not saying I did not return the "unknown equipment" ?  I guess so.   Their inventory tracking is really a mess isn't it?  Fortunately for them I suppose is that this infuriates mostly customers who have decided to cancel their Verizon service.  I was thinking of possibly coming back to Fios in a few years if they ever offered me a cable tv free package at a reasonable rate. I have to admit the internet access was excellent.  But now I am not so sure.  I am so mad at them, first for making me wait more than two months to refund my unused balance (Their policy is you have to go through a couple billing cycles before they will refund you - long enough to trump up unreturned equipment charges against you and hope you have lost your evidence by then) and second now this obvious incompetent processing of my returned equipment which will make me wait who knows how much longer before I ever get my refurnd.

I filed a complaint with the NJ Board of Public Utilities about the lengthy time Verizon imposes in processing refunds.  I got lots of courtesy calls from Verizon because of that but nothing was done about it.  Maybe I'll file another complaint about the returned equipment screw up and get some more courtesy calls.

0 Likes
Update: Now I can no longer view my bill on My Verizon
terryn2

I got a call back yesterday from the Verizon rep I talked to last week.  He said they were able to track my returned equipment and the issue was being handled.  Maybe I will eventually see my refund owed.  Interestingly, for the last 3 days I have been unable to laccess my bill on My Verizon to check the status.  It lets me log in but there are no options under Bill & Payment.  If I persist I get the mesaage :

We are unable to process your request at this time.
Please try again later. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Could Verizon have disabled my access to my billing info because I am complaining?  I can still view other account details such as my old phone number, etc, but not the bill.

0 Likes
Re: Update: Now I can no longer view my bill on My Verizon
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

No, that would not happen. It is a technical issue. You might try clearing your cache and then try a different browser.

0 Likes
terryn2

I've tried three different browsers and also cleared caches.  I can login but cannot view my bill in any of them.  If it is a techical gltch it is a problem on the Verizon site.  

It's not important, it just means I have to call to find out the progress on getting my refund.

0 Likes
terryn2

Just scanned the forum and am seeing others are having a problem accessing their bills online.  So my account info has probably not been deliberately locked by Verizon because I am disputing a charge with them.  Still, I am amazed that they have allowed the access to bill problem to continue for over 3 days now when it is clearly a affecting numerous customers.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Hello terryn

Thanks for doing all the checking.  An agent with access to your account will reach out to you directly by email, private message in the Forums and/or the billing telephone number on your Verizon account for more information to help you resolve your issue.

0 Likes
terryn2

I am not interested spending a lot of time answering questions about which browser I am using or clearing caches.  So many people have this problem it is clearly not a problem on customer's computers.  The problem is on the Verizon website - obviously.  

This is not my primary issue.  Do not mark this thread resolved.  My primary issue is Verizon is claiming I did not return equipment.  They have charged me for it and this is holding up the refund I am expecting.  that is my key issue.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi terryn,

In your opening post you stated that you were told that the issue would be resolved in 3 days.  Please let us know the current status of your issue.

0 Likes
terryn2

It's not resolved yet

0 Likes
Re: False Failure to Return Equipment Claim by Verizon
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi terryn,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. The title of your post is the link. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes