Moving and early termination
mthewhite
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had been unemployed for about a year and a half and only recently found part time work and my unemployment ended. Essentially I might have to move in with my parents again so that I can save a little money and get on my feet again. I would be moving into a condo that only has allowed comcast to install their cable lines and have not allowed fios in yet. Comcast was essentially installed there when they were built.  

Will I have to pay $360 ETF? I have been a good customer and have been with fios for a couple of years now and would certainly go back when I can.  RIght now though finding more work and saving money is my necessary focus. 

Are there ways to go month to month right now so I won't get dinged the $360. if/when I move? 

Thanks for any answers.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Moving and early termination
dhlunar
Enthusiast - Level 3

I asked an agent in chat the same question since my wife and I have FiOS in our apartment, but are looking at moving into a condo.  I don't know if the condo has FiOS or not.  However, the response that I got was if it is a Verizon service area, even if it doesn't have FiOS, then we would need to sign up for a landline and high-speed internet at the new place in order to waive the early termination fee.

View solution in original post

tns
Master - Level 2

YOU can ask them.  They sometimes wave it.  but....

0 Likes
AnnJ11
Contributor - Level 3

Check your Verizon agreement.  Mine says that the termination fee is prorated $10/month starting with the second month.  That means, for instance, that if the ETF is $230 and you cancel two months later, it's $220, and so on.  

This is what I found for a CURRENT offer, at

http://www22.verizon.com/home/aboutfios/?CMP=DMC-CVS_ZZ_ZZ_E_TV_N_X001

I'm underlining the relevant part:

"Limited-time offer for new FiOS TV and Internet residential customers subscribing to a FiOS Triple Play bundle online. Promotional rate applied via $20 bill credit for 24 months; beginning month 25 standard monthly rates apply. Price guarantee applies to base monthly rate only; excludes optional services. Rate may increase after 24 months. 2-year agreement req’d. Beginning month 2, up to $230 early termination fee (w/ $10/mo. prorated reduction) applies. Other fees, taxes, equipment charges & terms apply. Activation fee waived via bill credit. Subject to credit approval & may require a deposit. FiOS available in select areas. Actual speeds may vary. Battery backup for standard fiber-based voice service, FiOS Digital Voice, & E911 (but not other voice services) for up to 8 hours. Offer ends 6/16/12."

Don't forget - You may not have this in your agreement, so check to see what yours says.  Good luck with everything.

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@mthewhite wrote:

Will I have to pay $360 ETF? I have been a good customer and have been with fios for a couple of years now and would certainly go back when I can.  RIght now though finding more work and saving money is my necessary focus. 

Are there ways to go month to month right now so I won't get dinged the $360. if/when I move? 

If you've been with them for a couple of years, are you still on contract? If you are still on contract then you'll have to pay the ETF. If not, you probably won't.

0 Likes
mthewhite
Enthusiast - Level 2

I actually had upgraded some features a year ago (one year into my agreement) and had to agree to a new two year agreement. I am looking for my paperwork right now to see what is stipulated for my ETF. I guess I just assumed that it would be $360. I remember when it was increased and never thought otherwise.

Thanks for your replies.

0 Likes
minded
Contributor - Level 1

All ETFs have been prorated since about 2009, so you should only be paying about 180 to cut out.

armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@mthewhite wrote:

... I would be moving into a condo that only has allowed comcast to install their cable lines and have not allowed fios in yet. Comcast was essentially installed there when they were built ... Will I have to pay $360 ETF? I have been a good customer and have been with fios for a couple of years now and would certainly go back when I can ... Are there ways to go month to month right now so I won't get dinged the $360. if/when I move? 

Is there any reason that you have not contacted the company and asked these questions directly?  I suspect that answers obtained in that manner will be more definitive than the opinions of non-Verizon personnel offered in these forums.  Good luck.

0 Likes
mthewhite
Enthusiast - Level 2
I have not been forced quite yet into making my move final. I figured just getting some feedback on the forum would help me a little with what to expect from verizon before I call.
0 Likes
dhlunar
Enthusiast - Level 3

I asked an agent in chat the same question since my wife and I have FiOS in our apartment, but are looking at moving into a condo.  I don't know if the condo has FiOS or not.  However, the response that I got was if it is a Verizon service area, even if it doesn't have FiOS, then we would need to sign up for a landline and high-speed internet at the new place in order to waive the early termination fee.

XfactorRoid1

Good Morning,

I just received a bill from my Verizon One-Bill that indicates that I have a $90 early termination fee from moving from our old house to our brand new house 5 miles down the road that has no service provided by Verizon or it's competitors. I was told that if I moved to an area, that was not serviced by Verizon, that the termination fee would be waived. Now I would rather have Verizon bring service into my neighborhood, but was told that is not how it works. Look at the contract it states...

VERIZON DOES NOT WARRANT OR GUARANTEE THAT SERVICE CAN BE PROVISIONED TO YOUR LOCATION, OR THAT PROVISIONING WILL OCCUR ACCORDING TO A SPECIFIED SCHEDULE, EVEN IF VERIZON HAS ACCEPTED YOUR ORDER FOR SERVICE. THE PROVISIONING OF SERVICE IS SUBJECT TO NETWORK AVAILABILITY, CIRCUIT AVAILABILITY, LOOP LENGTH, THE CONDITION OF YOUR TELEPHONE LINE AND WIRING INSIDE YOUR LOCATION, AND YOUR COMPUTER/DEVICE CONFIGURATION AND CAPABILITIES, AMONG OTHER FACTORS. IN THE EVENT YOUR LINE IS NOT PROVISIONED FOR ANY REASON, NEITHER YOU NOR VERIZON SHALL HAVE ANY DUTIES OR OBLIGATIONS UNDER THIS AGREEMENT (OTHER THAN YOUR OBLIGATION TO RETURN ANY EQUIPMENT).

Based on this, I would like to continue my service at my new address.  However, it seems that, in my new house, the LINE IS NOT PROVISIONED FOR [some] REASON, NEITHER YOU NOR VERIZON SHALL HAVE ANY DUTIES OR OBLIGATIONS UNDER THIS AGREEMENT (OTHER THAN YOUR OBLIGATION TO RETURN ANY EQUIPMENT).  Nowhere in the contract does it state that i have to stay at my address or within verizon's reach.  Therefore, based on this, I bbelieve we are both free of the obligation of this contract. With this being the case, could you kindly waive the $90 surcharge that has been placed on my account below.

Account #: {edited for privacy}
Customer Identification Code: {edited for privacy}

Best Regards,
{edited for privacy}

0 Likes