Moving to non-Verizon Area Early Termination Fee
SmileNJ99

We have been Fios customers since 2009 and wireless customers since 2002.  I am in month 12 of a 2 year fios triple play contract.  We have inquired about "what happens if we move" each time that we have agreed to a new fios contract.  There are many areas that do not offer fios around us, so it has always been a concern of ours.  The response has always been that the fee would be waived if we were to cancel due to moving into an area where fios is not offered.  We purchased a home in a neighboring town 5 miles away from our current home.  Fios is not available in the section of town where our new home is located, otherwise we would gladly keep our service because we happen to love it.  We called last night to cancel our fios service and we were told sorry, you will be charged the early termination fee.  The representative was very quick to say that it's not Verzion's problem that we are moving to an area where there is no Verizon service.  Our response was, how would it be our fault that this specific area does not have Verizon?  By no Verizon I mean it is a completely DEAD area for Verizon, not just fios but also phone service and DSL.  They actually could not even locate our address.  Their system said the address was in a different STATE.  The area seems to be exclusively serviced by Comcast.  Up until the rudeness that we encountered on the phone, we were ready to contact our new Mayor's office, Senator, etc. to see why Comcast has a monopoly on cable service in the new area.  We wanted to fight to get Verizon.  It's not good enough for Verizon customer service that we have collectively spent nearly $20,000 on Verzion Wireless service over the past 12 years, but they have to stick it to us one last time and charge a $130 early termination fee on fios service that we can't take with us and have absolutely have no control over.  We have never even bothered to inquire with other wireless carriers, but we absolutely WILL be taking our wireless business elsewhere after being blatantly lied to.  Bottom line, don't trust Verizon customer service or Verizon.  It's big business and they don't care about anything except their early termination fee.  In their words, "it's not their fault".

0 Likes
Re: Moving to non-Verizon Area Early Termination Fee
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi SmileNJ99,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

SmileNJ99,

We've reviewd the account and have confirmed that the ETF will be valid. As we have not had any updates from you regarding further inquiries we are closing your Private Support Case. If you have any further questions please make a new post.

-Adam

0 Likes
Squonk1

I moved recently, August 24 from a FIOS area to a non-Verixon FIOS area in Florida.  I was told by two chat reps, there would be no early termination charge due to the fact that Verizon was not available.  On August 13, I received an email asking me to download two pieces of identification to prove I'm in a non-Verizon area.  I uploaded my Florida Driver's License and Voter Registration card.

So today, I get another bill, supposedly my last saying I owed $185 and that was going to be direct debit (auto-pay) on September 20 something.  I went into the paper copy of bill and see that Verizon still charged me a $245 early termination fee.  I went ahead and went back to the email link that sends you to a Verizon email portal and re-downloaded the same id docs.  In essence, Verizon owes me $60 (credit for part of month I had left and cancelled service.  My equipment was all mailed back to Verizon and received

I entered a chat session with someone named Myron.  Was told up fron he "would definitely help me".  He said that this bill was not my last and my last bill would be Oct. 3.  That was incorrect as when I called the 1-800#, the automated voice message said this was my last bill.  I told him I don't want a "bill", I want my $60.  Then was told, "don't worry, there will be no penalty".  Bizzaro world.  No guy, if anything if there is a bill, it should be from me to Verizon for $60, and if I'm nice, I'll waive my late charge due to Verizon's incompetence for not refunding me in a timely manner.

Anyhow, just a heads up for those that search these forums.  Verizon will stick it to you if you're not on the ball.  They probably do this to thousands of people.  If they do, go to your local government Cable and Communciation and put in a complaint.

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes